Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions: The Facts as a Guide for International Economics
AbstractUsing a detailed and large data set on cross-border merger and acquisitions we discuss the relationship between theory and observed empirical characteristics:(i) most FDI is in the form of M&As, (ii) firms engaged in M&As seem to be ‘market-seeking’, (iii) M&As come in waves (the most recent wave is still unfolding), (iv) economic integration (international deregulation) stimulated M&As, (v) the size of and inequality between M&As grows over time.Our contention in this chapter is that these stylized facts drive and should drive recent theoretical contributions in the field of international economics that try to understand cross-border mergers and acquisitions. Although some models (notably Neary, 2003) explain a number of the characteristics, a full-fledged model of cross-border M&As that, at least in principle, can deal with all the characteristics is still lacking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1823.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2006-11-18 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2006-11-18 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J.Peter Neary, 2003.
"Globalisation and Market Structure,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
100, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Klaus Gugler & Dennis C. Mueller & B. Burcin Yurtoglu & Christine Zulehner, 2001.
"The Effects of Mergers: An International Comparison,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 01-21, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Yurtoglu, B. Burcin & Zulehner, Christine, 2003. "The effects of mergers: an international comparison," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 625-653, May.
- Neary, J. Peter, 2009.
"Trade costs and foreign direct investment,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 207-218, March.
- repec:ant:wpaper:1999018 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- Steven Brakman & Harry Garretsen & Charles van Marrewijk, 2006. "Comparative advantage, cross-border mergers and merger waves: International economics meets industrial organization," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 7(1), pages 22-26, 04.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2003.
"Plants and Productivity in International Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1268-1290, September.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 105, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Andrew B Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and productivity in international trade," Working Papers 00-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jenson & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 7688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J Peter Neary, 2004.
"Cross-Border Mergers as Instruments of Comparative Advantage,"
200404, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J. Peter Neary, 2007. "Cross-Border Mergers as Instruments of Comparative Advantage," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1229-1257.
- Neary, J. Peter, 2004. "Cross-Border Mergers as Instruments of Comparative Advantage," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 34, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Neary, J Peter, 2004. "Cross-Border Mergers as Instruments of Comparative Advantage," CEPR Discussion Papers 4325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven Brakman & Harry Garretsen & Charles van Marrewijk, 2007.
"Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions: On Revealed Comparative Advantage And Merger Waves,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-013/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Steven Brakman & Harry Garretsen & Charles van Marrewijk, 2005. "Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions: On Revealed Comparative Advantage and Merger Waves," CESifo Working Paper Series 1602, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:got:cegedp:34 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. Peter Neary, 2000. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade Theory," Working Papers 200025, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Leamer, Edward E. & Levinsohn, James, 1995.
"International trade theory: The evidence,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1339-1394
- Edward E. Leamer & James Levinsohn, 1994. "International Trade Theory: The Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4940, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leamer, E. & Levingsohn, J., 1994. "International Trade Theory: The Evidence," Working Papers 368, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Gregor Andrade & Mark Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 2001. "New Evidence and Perspectives on Mergers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 103-120, Spring.
- van Marrewijk, Charles, 2006. "International Economics: Theory, application, and policy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199280988, September.
- Ray Chaudhuri, A., 2014. "Acquisitions by Multinationals and Trade Liberalization," Discussion Paper 2014-006, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wiji Arulampalam & Michael P. Devereux & Federica Liberini, 2012. "Taxes and the Location of Targets," Working Papers 1213, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Joel Stiebale, 2010. "The Impact of Foreign Acquisitions on the Investors‘ R&D Activities – Firm-level Evidence," Ruhr Economic Papers 0161, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ray Chaudhuri, A., 2010. "Monopolization Through Acquisitions in Multimarket Oligopolies (Replaced by CentER DP 2011-112)," Discussion Paper 2010-96, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Joel Stiebale & Michaela Trax, 2011.
"The effects of cross-border M&As on the acquirers' domestic performance: firm-level evidence,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(3), pages 957-990, August.
- Joel Stiebale & Michaela Trax, 2010. "The Eff ects of Cross-border M&As on the Acquirers’ Domestic Performance – Firm-level Evidence," Ruhr Economic Papers 0159, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Stiebale, Joel, 2013. "The impact of cross-border mergers and acquisitions on the acquirers' R&D — Firm-level evidence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 307-321.
- Charles van Marrewijk & Gus Garita, 2008. "Countries of a Feather flock together," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-067/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 19 Sep 2008.
- Martin Gassebner & Pierre-Guillaume Méon, 2010. "Where do Creditor Rights Matter? Creditor Rights, Political Constraints, and Cross-Border M&A Activity," Working Papers CEB 10-019.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Steven Brakman & Gus Garita & Harry Garretsen & Charles van Marrewijk, 2008. "Unlocking the Value of Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2294, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bhagat, Sanjai & Malhotra, Shavin & Zhu, PengCheng, 2011. "Emerging country cross-border acquisitions: Characteristics, acquirer returns and cross-sectional determinants," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 250-271, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.