Necessary and Sufficient Restrictions for Existence of a Unique Fourth Moment of a Univariate GARCH(p,q) Process
AbstractA univariate GARCH(p,q) process is quickly transformed to a univariate autoregressive moving-average process in squares of an underlying variable. For positive integer m, eigenvalue restrictions have been proposed as necessary and sufficient restrictions for existence of a unique mth moment of the output of a univariate GARCH process or, equivalently, the 2mth moment of the underlying variable. However, proofs in the literature that an eigenvalue restriction is necessary and sufficient for existence of unique 4th or higher even moments of the underlying variable, are either incorrect, incomplete, or unecessarily long. Thus, the paper contains a short and general proof that an eigenvalue restriction is necessary and sufficient for existence of a unique 4th moment of the underlying variable of a univariate GARCH process. The paper also derives an expression for computing the 4th moment in terms of the GARCH parameters, which immediately implies a necessary and sufficient inequality restriction for existence of the 4th moment. Because the inequality restriction is easily computed in a finite number of basic arithmetic operations on the GARCH parameters and does not require computing eigenvalues, it provides an easy means for computing "by hand" the 4th moment and for checking its existence for low-dimensional GARCH processes. Finally, the paper illustrates the computations with some GARCH(1,1) processes reported in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1505.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
state-space form; Lyapunov equations; nonnegative and irreducible matrices;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-08-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2005-08-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2005-08-13 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FIN-2005-08-13 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Necessary and Sufficient Moment Conditions for the GARCH(r,s) and Asymmetric Power GARCH(r,s) Models,"
ISER Discussion Paper, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University
0534, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. "NECESSARY AND SUFFICIENT MOMENT CONDITIONS FOR THE GARCH(r,s) AND ASYMMETRIC POWER GARCH(r,s) MODELS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 722-729, June.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1997.
"Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University, Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74146, Tilburg University.
- Drost, Feike C. & Klaassen, Chris A. J., 1997. "Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 193-221, November.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1996. "Efficient Estimation in Semiparametric GARCH Models," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research 1996-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- Christian M. Hafner, 2003. "Fourth Moment Structure of Multivariate GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 26-54.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1992.
"Prediction in dynamic models with time-dependent conditional variances,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 91-113.
- Baillie, R.T. & Bollerslev, R.T., 1990. "Prediction In Dynamic Models With Time Dependent Conditional Variances," Papers, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory 8815, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Karanasos, Menelaos, 1999. "The second moment and the autocovariance function of the squared errors of the GARCH model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 63-76, May.
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo, 1999. "FOURTH MOMENT STRUCTURE OF THE GARCH(p,q) PROCESS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 824-846, December.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2002. "Stationarity of stable power-GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 97-107, January.
- Todd, Prono, 2009. "Simple, Skewness-Based GMM Estimation of the Semi-Strong GARCH(1,1) Model," MPRA Paper 30994, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Jul 2011.
- Todd, Prono, 2010. "Simple GMM Estimation of the Semi-Strong GARCH(1,1) Model," MPRA Paper 20034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haas, Markus & Mittnik, Stefan, 2008. "Multivariate regimeswitching GARCH with an application to international stock markets," CFS Working Paper Series, Center for Financial Studies (CFS) 2008/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.