Advancing the iid Test Based on Integration across the Correlation Integral: Ranges, Competition, and Power
AbstractThis paper builds on Kocenda (2001) and extends it in two ways. First, two new intervals of the proximity parameter epsilon (over which the correlation integral is calculated) are specified. For these epsilon-ranges new critical values for various lengths of the data sets are introduced and through Monte Carlo studies it is shown that within new epsilon-ranges the test is even more powerful than within the original epsilon-range. A sensitivity analysis of the critical values with respect to epsilon-range choice is also given. Second, a comparison with existing results of the controlled competition of Barnett et al. (1997) as well as broad power tests on various nonlinear and chaotic data are provided. The results of the comparison strongly favor our robust procedure and confirm the ability of the test in finding nonlinear dependencies. An empirical comparison of the new epsilon-ranges with the original one shows that the test within the new epsilon-ranges is able to detect hidden patterns with much higher precision. Finally, new user-friendly and fast software is introduced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague in its series CERGE-EI Working Papers with number wp235.
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
Chaos; Nonlinear dynamics; Correlation integral; Monte Carlo; Single- blind competition; Power tests; High-frequency economic; Financial data;
Other versions of this item:
- Evzen Kocenda & Lubos Briatka, 2004. "Advancing the iid Test Based on Integration across the Correlation Integral: Ranges, Competition, and Power," Econometrics 0409001, EconWPA.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serletis, Apostolos & Gogas, Periklis, 1997.
"Chaos in East European black market exchange rates,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 359-385, December.
- Serletis, A. & Gogas, P., 1997. "Chaos in East European Black-Market Exchange Rates," Papers 9708, Calgary - Department of Economics.
- Opong, Kwaku K. & Mulholland, Gwyneth & Fox, Alan F. & Farahmand, Kambiz, 1999. "The behaviour of some UK equity indices: An application of Hurst and BDS tests1," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 267-282, September.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2003.
"Market Efficiency and the Euro:The case of the Athens Stock Exchange,"
Public Policy Discussion Papers
03-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Market efficiency and the Euro: the case of the Athens stock exchange," Empirica, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 237-251, July.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2005. "Market Efficiency and the Euro: The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Finance 0507022, EconWPA.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2003. "Market Efficiency and the Euro:The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 03-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2008. "Market Efficiency and the Euro: The case of the Athens Stock exchange," Discussion Paper Series 2008_14, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2008.
- Peter Kugler & Carlos Lenz, 1990. "Chaos, Arch and the Foreign Exchange Market: Empirical Results from Weekly Data," Diskussionsschriften dp9005, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Yi-Ting Chen & Chung-Ming Kuan, 2002. "Time irreversibility and EGARCH effects in US stock index returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 565-578.
- Hsieh, David A., 1993. "Implications of Nonlinear Dynamics for Financial Risk Management," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 41-64, March.
- William A. Barnett & A. Ronald Gallant & Melvin J. Hinich & Jochen A. Jungeilges & Daniel T. Kaplan & Mark J. Jensen, 1996.
"A Single-Blind Controlled Competition among Tests for Nonlinearity and Chaos,"
9602005, EconWPA, revised 20 Sep 1996.
- Barnett, William A. & Gallant, A. Ronald & Hinich, Melvin J. & Jungeilges, Jochen A. & Kaplan, Daniel T. & Jensen, Mark J., 1997. "A single-blind controlled competition among tests for nonlinearity and chaos," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 157-192.
- William Barnett & A. Ronald Gallant & Melvin J. Hinich & Jochen A. Jungeilges & Daniel T. Kaplan & Mark J. Jensen, 2012. "A Single-Blind Controlled Competition Among Tests For Nonlinearity And Chaos," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201219, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Mahajan, Arvind & Wagner, Andrew J., 1999. "Nonlinear dynamics in foreign exchange rates," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23.
- Hsieh, David A, 1991. " Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamics: Application to Financial Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1839-77, December.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Ebens, Heiko, 2001. "The distribution of realized stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 43-76, July.
- Dejian Lai & Guanrong Chen, 2003. "Distribution of the estimated lyapunov exponents from noisy chaotic time series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 705-720, November.
- Brooks, C. & Henry, O.T., 1999.
"Can Portemanteau Nonlinearity Tests Serve as General Mis-Specification Tests? Evidence from Symmetric and Asymmetric GARCH Models,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
723, The University of Melbourne.
- Brooks, Chris & Henry, Olan T., 2000. "Can portmanteau nonlinearity tests serve as general mis-specification tests?: Evidence from symmetric and asymmetric GARCH models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 245-251, June.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1999. "Long-term equity anticipation securities and stock market volatility dynamics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 75-99, September.
- Chappell, David & Padmore, Joanne & Ellis, Catherine, 1996. "A Note on the Distribution of BDS Statistics for a Real Exchange Rate Series," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 561-65, August.
- David Johnson & Robert McClelland, 1998. "A general dependence test and applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 627-644.
- Antonio Aguirre & Luis Antonio Aguirre, 2000. "Time series analysis of monthly beef cattle prices with nonlinear autoregressive models," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 265-275.
- Aydin Cecen, A. & Erkal, Cahit, 1996. "Distinguishing between stochastic and deterministic behavior in foreign exchange rate returns: Further evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 323-329, June.
- Kramer, Walter & Runde, Ralf, 1997. "Chaos and the compass rose," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 113-118, February.
- Brorsen, B Wade & Yang, Seung-Ryong, 1994. "Nonlinear Dynamics and the Distribution of Daily Stock Index Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(2), pages 187-203, Summer.
- Diks, Cees, 2003. "Detecting serial dependence in tail events: a test dual to the BDS test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 319-324, June.
- Brooks, Chris, 1999. "Portmanteau Model Diagnostics and Tests for Nonlinearity: A Comparative Monte Carlo Study of Two Alternative Methods," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 13(3), pages 249-63, June.
- Brooks, Chris & Heravi, Saeed M, 1999. "The Effect of (Mis-Specified) GARCH Filters on the Finite Sample Distribution of the BDS Test," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 13(2), pages 147-62, April.
- Lubos Briatka, 2006. "How Big is Big Enough? Justifying Results of the iid Test Based on the Correlation Integral in the Non-Normal World," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp308, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Onour, Ibrahim, 2011. "Does credit for equity investments feedback on stock market volatility? Evidence from an emerging stock market," MPRA Paper 28001, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.