Robust Estimation in Nonlinear Regression and Limited Dependent Variable Models
AbstractClassical parametric estimation methods applied to nonlinear regression and limited-dependent-variable models are very sensitive to misspecification and data errors. This sensitivity is addressed by the theory of robust statistics which builds upon parametric specification, but provides methodology for designing misspecification-proof estimators by allowing for various "departures" of subsets of the data. However, this concept, developed in statistics, has so far been applied almost exclusively to linear regression models. Therefore, I adapt some robust methods, such as least trimmed squares, to nonlinear and limited-dependent-variable models. This paper presents the adapted robust estimators and proofs of their consistency. I also discuss several important examples of regression models which the proposed estimators can be applied to as well as suitable computational methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague in its series CERGE-EI Working Papers with number wp189.
Date of creation: Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
least trimmed squares; limited-dependent-variable-models; nonlinear regression; robust estimation;
Other versions of this item:
- Čížek, Pavel, 2001. "Robust estimation in nonlinear regression and limited dependent variable models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2001,100, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Pavel Cizek, 2002. "Robust Estimation in Nonlinear Regression and Limited Dependent Variable Models," Econometrics 0203003, EconWPA.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cizek, P., 2005. "Trimmed Likelihood-based Estimation in Binary Regression Models," Discussion Paper 2005-108, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.