Multiple Local Whittle Estimation in StationarySystems
AbstractMoving from univariate to bivariate jointly dependent long memory time series introduces a phase parameter (?), at the frequency of principal interest, zero; for shortmemory series ? = 0 automatically. The latter case has also been stressed under longmemory, along with the 'fractional differencing' case ( ) / 2; 2 1 ? = d - d p where 1 2 d , dare the memory parameters of the two series. We develop time domain conditionsunder which these are and are not relevant, and relate the consequent properties ofcross-autocovariances to ones of the (possibly bilateral) moving averagerepresentation which, with martingale difference innovations of arbitrary dimension,is used in asymptotic theory for local Whittle parameter estimates depending on asingle smoothing number. Incorporating also a regression parameter (ß) which, whennon-zero, indicates cointegration, the consistency proof of these implicitly-definedestimates is nonstandard due to the ß estimate converging faster than the others. Wealso establish joint asymptotic normality of the estimates, and indicate how thisoutcome can apply in statistical inference on several questions of interest. Issues ofimplementation are discussed, along with implications of knowing ß and of correct orincorrect specification of ? , and possible extensions to higher-dimensional systemsand nonstationary series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series with number /2007/525.
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Long memory; phase; cointegration; semiparametricestimation; consistency; asymptotic normality.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-02-02 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-02-02 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Hualde & Peter M Robinson, 2006.
"Semiparametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2006/502, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Javier Hualde & Peter Robinson, . "Semiparametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration," Faculty Working Papers 07/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:24:y:2007:i:01:p:256-293 is not listed on IDEAS
- Morten Oerregaard Nielsen, . "Local Whittle Analysis of Stationary Fractional Cointegration," Economics Working Papers 2002-8, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Peter M Robinson, 2004. "ROBUST COVARIANCE MATRIX ESTIMATION: "HAC" Estimates with Long Memory/Antipersistence Correction," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2004/471, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Liudas Giraitis & Peter M Robinson, 2002. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Whittle Estimation of Long Memory," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/438, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2000. "Local Whittle Estimation in Nonstationary and Unit Root Cases," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1266, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 2003.
- Nielsen, Morten Oe., .
"Semiparametric Estimation in Time Series Regression with Long Range Dependence,"
Economics Working Papers
2002-17, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Morten Orregaard Nielsen, 2005. "Semiparametric Estimation in Time-Series Regression with Long-Range Dependence," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 279-304, 03.
- Lobato, Ignacio N., 1999. "A semiparametric two-step estimator in a multivariate long memory model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 129-153, May.
- Carlos Velasco, 2003. "Gaussian Semi-parametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 345-378, 05.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2003.
"Gaussian semiparametric estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes,"
Economics Discussion Papers
571, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2007. "Gaussian semiparametric estimation of multivariate fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 277-310, April.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2006. "Gaussian Semiparametric Estimation of Multivariate Fractionally Integrated Processes," Working Papers 1062, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Christensen, Bent Jesper & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006. "Asymptotic normality of narrow-band least squares in the stationary fractional cointegration model and volatility forecasting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 343-371, July.
- Clifford M. Hurvich & Eric Moulines & Philippe Soulier, 2005.
"Estimating Long Memory in Volatility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1283-1328, 07.
- Davidson, James & Hashimzade, Nigar, 2008. "Alternative Frequency And Time Domain Versions Of Fractional Brownian Motion," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 256-293, February.
- Willa Chen & Clifford Hurvich, 2004. "Semiparametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegrating Subspaces," Econometrics 0412007, EconWPA.
- D Marinucci & Peter M Robinson, 2001. "Narrow-Band Analysis of Nonstationary Processes," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2001/421, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 2008.
"Long Memory and Long Run Variation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1656, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.