Semiparametric Estimation Of A Binaryresponse Model With A Change-Pointdue To A Covariate Threshold
AbstractThis paper is concerned with semiparametric estimation of a threshold binaryresponse model. The estimation method considered in the paper is semiparametricsince the parameters for a regression function are finite-dimensional, whileallowing for heteroskedasticity of unknown form. In particular, the paper considersManski (1975, 1985)'s maximum score estimator. The model in this paper isirregular because of a change-point due to an unknown threshold in a covariate.This irregularity coupled with the discontinuity of the objective function of themaximum score estimator complicates the analysis of the asymptotic behavior ofthe estimator. Sufficient conditions for the identification of parameters are givenand the consistency of the estimator is obtained. It is shown that the estimator ofthe threshold parameter is n-consistent and the estimator of the remainingregression parameters is cube root n-consistent. Furthermore, we obtain theasymptotic distribution of the estimators. It turns out that a suitably normalizedestimator of the regression parameters converges weakly to the distribution towhich it would converge weakly if the true threshold value were known andlikewise for the threshold estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series with number /2007/516.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Binary response model; maximum score estimation; semiparametricestimation; threshold regression; nonlinear random utility models.;
Other versions of this item:
- Lee, Sokbae & Seo, Myung Hwan, 2008. "Semiparametric estimation of a binary response model with a change-point due to a covariate threshold," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 492-499, June.
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-06-23 (Econometrics)
- NEP-UPT-2007-06-23 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph A. Herriges & Catherine L. Kling, 1999.
"Nonlinear Income Effects in Random Utility Models,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 62-72, February.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Pick, A., 2004.
"Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Contagion,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0402, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Hashem Pesaran & Andreas Pick, 2004. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Contagion," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 67, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Andreas Pick, 2004. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Contagion," CESifo Working Paper Series 1176, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Wolf, Michael, 2005.
"Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 201-224, August.
- Jesús Gonzalo & Michael Wolf, 2001. "Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models," Economics Working Papers 573, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- John K. Dagsvik & Anders Karlstr�m, 2005. "Compensating Variation and Hicksian Choice Probabilities in Random Utility Models that are Nonlinear in Income," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 57-76.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Hidalgo, Javier, 2000. "Nonparametric inference on structural breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 113-144, May.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Brown, Bryan W & Walker, Mary Beth, 1989. "The Random Utility Hypothesis and Inference in Demand Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 815-29, July.
- Seo, Myung Hwan & Linton, Oliver, 2007. "A smoothed least squares estimator for threshold regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 704-735, December.
- Lee, Stephen M.S. & Pun, M.C., 2006. "On m out of n Bootstrapping for Nonstandard M-Estimation With Nuisance Parameters," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1185-1197, September.
- Jason Abrevaya & Jian Huang, 2005. "On the Bootstrap of the Maximum Score Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1175-1204, 07.
- Manski, Charles F., 1985. "Semiparametric analysis of discrete response : Asymptotic properties of the maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 313-333, March.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
- Nobuhiko Terui & Wirawan Dony Dahana, 2006. "Research Note—Estimating Heterogeneous Price Thresholds," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(4), pages 384-391, 07-08.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Optimal Rates of Convergence of Parameter Estimators in the Binary Response Model with Weak Distributional Assumptions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 1-18, January.
- Manski, Charles F. & Thompson, T. Scott, 1986. "Operational characteristics of maximum score estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-108, June.
- Yu, Ping, 2012. "Likelihood estimation and inference in threshold regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 274-294.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.