Nonparametric Transformation to White Noise
AbstractWe consider a semiparametric distributed lag model in which the "news impact curve" m isnonparametric but the response is dynamic through some linear filters. A special case ofthis is a nonparametric regression with serially correlated errors. We propose an estimatorof the news impact curve based on a dynamic transformation that produces white noiseerrors. This yields an estimating equation for m that is a type two linear integral equation.We investigate both the stationary case and the case where the error has a unit root. In thestationary case we establish the pointwise asymptotic normality. In the special case of anonparametric regression subject to time series errors our estimator achieves efficiencyimprovements over the usual estimators, see Xiao, Linton, Carroll, and Mammen (2003). Inthe unit root case our procedure is consistent and asymptotically normal unlike the standardregression smoother. We also present the distribution theory for the parameter estimates,which is non-standard in the unit root case. We also investigate its finite sampleperformance through simulation experiments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series with number /2006/503.
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Efficiency; Inverse Problem; Kernel Estimation; Nonparametric regression; Time Series; Unit Roots.;
Other versions of this item:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-10-28 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-10-28 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994.
"The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1991. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Working papers 583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors," Papers 346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Enno Mammen & Oliver Linton, 2004.
"Estimating Semiparametric ARCH Models by Kernel Smoothing Methods,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp511, Financial Markets Group.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen, 2003. "Estimating Semiparametric ARCH (8) Models by Kernel Smoothing Methods," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2003/453, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Masry, Elias, 1996. "Multivariate regression estimation local polynomial fitting for time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 81-101, December.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1971. "Discrete Approximations to Continuous Time Distributed Lags in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 545-63, May.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1998. "Nonstationary Density Estimation and Kernel Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1181, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hendry, David F. & Pagan, Adrian R. & Sargan, J.Denis, 1984. "Dynamic specification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1023-1100 Elsevier.
- Geweke, John F, 1978. "Temporal Aggregation in the Multiple Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 643-61, May.
- Zudi Lu, 2001. "Asymptotic Normality of Kernel Density Estimators under Dependence," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 447-468, September.
- Xiao Z. & Linton O.B. & Carroll R.J. & Mammen E., 2003. "More Efficient Local Polynomial Estimation in Nonparametric Regression With Autocorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 980-992, January.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Hodrick, Robert J, 1980. "Forward Exchange Rates as Optimal Predictors of Future Spot Rates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 829-53, October.
- Gregory Connor & Matthias Hagmann & Oliver Linton, 2007.
"Efficient Estimation of a SemiparametricCharacteristic-Based Factor Model of Security Returns,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2007/524, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Gregory Connor & Matthias Hagmann & Oliver Linton, 2007. "Efficient Estimation of a Semiparametric Characteristic- Based Factor Model of Security Returns," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 07-26, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Gregory Connor & Oliver Linton & Matthias Hagmann, 2007. "Efficient Estimation of a Semiparametric Characteristic-Based Factor Model of Security Returns," FMG Discussion Papers dp599, Financial Markets Group.
- Oliver Linton & Qiying Wang, 2013. "Non-parametric transformation regression with non-stationary data," CeMMAP working papers CWP16/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Degui Li & Oliver Linton & Zudi Lu, 2012.
"A flexible semiparametric model for time series,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP28/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Degui Li & Oliver Linton & Zudi Lu, 2012. "A Flexible Semiparametric Model for Time Series," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 17/12, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Koo, Bonsoo & Linton, Oliver, 2012. "Estimation of semiparametric locally stationary diffusion models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 210-233.
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Scaillet, Olivier, 2012. "Tikhonov regularization for nonparametric instrumental variable estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 61-75.
- Enno Mammen & Byeong U. Park & Melanie Schienle, 2012. "Additive Models: Extensions and Related Models," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-045, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Liangjun Su & Aman Ullah & Yun Wang, 2013. "Nonparametric regression estimation with general parametric error covariance: a more efficient two-step estimator," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 1009-1024, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.