Unit Root Test in a Threshold Autoregression: Asymptotic Theory and Residual-based Block Bootstrap
AbstractThere is a growing literature on unit root testing in threshold autoregressive models. This paper makes two contributions to the literature. First, an asymptotic theory is developed for unit root testing in a threshold autoregression, in which the errors are allowed to be dependent and heterogeneous, and the lagged level of the dependent variable is employed as the threshold variable. The asymptotic distribution of the proposed Wald test is non-standard and depends on nuisance parameters. Second, the consistency of the proposed residual-based block bootstrap is established based on a newly developed asymptotic theory for this bootstrap. It is demonstrated by a set of Monte Carlo simulations that the Wald test exhibits considerable power gains over the ADF test that neglects threshold effects. The law of one price hypothesis is investigated among used car markets in the US.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series with number /2005/484.
Date of creation: Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Threshold autoregression; unit root test; threshold cointegration; residual-based block bootstrap;
Other versions of this item:
- Seo, Myung Hwan, 2008. "Unit Root Test In A Threshold Autoregression: Asymptotic Theory And Residual-Based Block Bootstrap," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(06), pages 1699-1716, December.
- Myunghwan Seo, 2004. "Unit Root Test in a Threshold Autoregression: Asymptotic Theory and Residual-based Block Bootstrap," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 494, Econometric Society.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-02-26 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-02-26 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:5:y:2001:i:4:p:533-76 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bec, Frederique & Guay, Alain & Guerre, Emmanuel, 2008.
"Adaptive consistent unit-root tests based on autoregressive threshold model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 94-133, January.
- Frédérique Bec & Alain Guay & Emmanuel Guerre, 2002. "Adaptive Consistent Unit Root Tests Based on Autoregressive Threshold Model," Working Papers 2002-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Park, Joon Y & Phillips, Peter C B, 2001.
"Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 117-61, January.
- Joon Y. Park & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1998. "Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1190, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Joon Y. Park & Peter C. B. Phillips, 1999. "Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series," Working Paper Series no6, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Y. Park, 2003. "A Sieve Bootstrap For The Test Of A Unit Root," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 379-400, 07.
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- George Kapetanios & Yongcheol Shin, 2002. "Unit Root Tests in Three-Regime SETAR Models," Working Papers 465, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Mehmet Caner & Bruce E. Hansen, 2001.
"Threshold Autoregression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1555-1596, November.
- Pippenger, Michael K & Goering, Gregory E, 1993. "A Note on the Empirical Power of Unit Root Tests under Threshold Processes," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(4), pages 473-81, November.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "An Invariance Principle For Sieve Bootstrap In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 469-490, April.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:4:p:489-500 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Efstathios Paparoditis & Dimitris N. Politis, 2003. "Residual-Based Block Bootstrap for Unit Root Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 813-855, 05.
- Horvath, Michael T.K. & Watson, Mark W., 1995. "Testing for Cointegration When Some of the Cointegrating Vectors are Prespecified," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 984-1014, October.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992. "Convergence to Stochastic Integrals for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 489-500, December.
- Hyeongwoo Kim & Young-Kyu Moh, 2012. "The Yen Real Exchange Rate May Not Be Stationary After All: New Evidence from Non-linear Unit-Root Tests," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2012-02, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2010.
"A century of purchasing power parity confirmed: The role of nonlinearity,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1398-1405, November.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2009. "A Century of Purchasing Power Parity Confirmed: The Role of Nonlinearity," MPRA Paper 17488, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dilem Yildirim & Ralf Becker & Denise R Osborn, 2009. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests for Nonlinear Threshold Models," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0915, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Mann, Janelle M, 2013. "Is there a Global Relationship Across Crude Oil Benchmarks?," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150368, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Myung Hwan Seo, 2007.
"Estimation of Nonlinear Error CorrectionModels,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2007/517, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Thanabalasingam Vinayagathasan, 2013. "Monetary Policy and the Real Economy: A Structural VAR Approach for Sri Lanka," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-13, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Niels Haldrup & Robinson Kruse & Timo Teräsvirta & Rasmus T. Varneskov, 2012. "Unit roots, nonlinearities and structural breaks," CREATES Research Papers 2012-14, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Kim, Bong-Han & Min, Hong-Ghi & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2010. "Nonlinear dynamics in exchange rate deviations from the monetary fundamentals: An empirical study," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1167-1177, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.