ROBUST COVARIANCE MATRIX ESTIMATION: "HAC" Estimates with Long Memory/Antipersistence Correction
AbstractSmoothed nonparametric estimates of the spectral density matrix at zero frequency have been widely used in econometric inference, because they can consistently estimate the covariance matrix of a partial sum of a possibly dependent vector process. When elements of the vector process exhibit long memory or antipersistence such estimates are inconsistent. We propose estimates which are still consistent in such circumstances, adapting automatically to memory parameters that can vary across the vector and be unknown.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series with number /2004/471.
Date of creation: Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Covariance matrix estimation; long memory; antipersistence correction; "HAC" estimates; vector process; spectral density.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2005-01-02 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2005-01-02 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FIN-2005-01-02 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Yajima, Yoshihiro, 2002.
"Determination of cointegrating rank in fractional systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 217-241, February.
- Peter M Robinson & Yoshihiro Yajima, 2001. "Determination of Cointegrating Rank in Fractional Systems," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2001/423, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Peter M Robinson, 2007. "Multiple Local Whittle Estimation in StationarySystems," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2007/525, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Yuanhua Feng & Jan Beran, 2007.
"Optimal Convergence Rates in Nonparametric Regression with Fractional Time Series Errors,"
CoFE Discussion Paper
07-15, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Yuanhua Feng & Jan Beran, 2013. "Optimal convergence rates in non-parametric regression with fractional time series errors," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 30-39, 01.
- Yuanhua Feng, 2002. "Optimal Convergence Rates in Nonparametric Regression with Fractional Time Series Errors," CoFE Discussion Paper 02-01, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.