Narrow-Band Analysis of Nonstationary Processes
AbstractThe behaviour of averaged periodograms and cross-periodograms of a broad class of nonstationary processes is studied. The processes include nonstationary ones that are fractional of any order, as well as asymptotically stationary fractional ones. The cross-periodogram can involve two nonstationary processes of possibly different orders, or a nonstationary and an asymptotically stationary one. The averaging takes place either over the whole frequency band, or over one that degenerates slowly to zero frequency as sample size increases. In some cases it is found to make no asymptotic difference, and in particular we indicate how the behaviour of the mean and variance changes across the two-dimensional space of integration orders. The results employ only local-to-zero assumptions on the spectra of the underlying weakly stationary sequences. It is shown how the results can be applied in fractional cointegration with unknown integration orders.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series with number /2001/421.
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Nonstationary processes; long-range dependence; least squares estimation; narrow-band estimation; cointegration analysis.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeganathan, P., 1999. "On Asymptotic Inference In Cointegrated Time Series With Fractionally Integrated Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 583-621, August.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1990. "The Fractional Unit Root Distribution," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 495-505, March.
- Jeganathan, P., 1997. "On Asymptotic Inference in Linear Cointegrated Time Series Systems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 692-745, October.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:13:y:1997:i:5:p:692-745 is not listed on IDEAS
- P.M. Robinson & D. Marinucci, 2000. "The Averaged Periodogram for Nonstationary Vector Time Series," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 149-160, January.
- Juan J. Dolado & Francisco Mármol, 1996. "Efficient Estimation of Cointegrating Relationships Among Higher Order and Fractionally Integrated Processes," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 9617, Banco de Espa�a.
- Marinucci, D. & Robinson, P. M., 2000. "Weak convergence of multivariate fractional processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 103-120, March.
- Stock, James H, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Least Squares Estimators of Cointegrating Vectors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1035-56, September.
- D Marinucci & Peter M Robinson, 2000. "The Averaged Periodogram for Nonstationary Vector Time Series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/408, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.