Nonparametric Test for Causality with Long-Range Dependence - (Now published in Econometrica, 68, (2000) pp.1465-1490
AbstractThis paper introduces a nonparametric Granger-causality test for covariance stationary linear processes under, possibly, the presence of long-range dependence. We show that the test is consistent and has power against contiguous alternatives converging to the parametric rate T-½. Since the test is based on estimates of the parameters of the representation of a VAR model as a, possibly, two-sided infinite distributed lag model, we first show that a modification of Hannan's (1963, 1967) estimator is root-T consistent and asymptotically normal for the coefficients of such a representation. When the data is long-range dependent this method of estimation becomes more attractive than Least Squares, since the latter can be neither root-T consistent nor asymptotically normal as is the case with short-range dependent data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series with number /2000/387.
Date of creation: Apr 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Causality; long-range dependence; spectral analysis; distributed lag model; consistent test;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hannan, E J & Terrell, R D, 1973. "Multiple Equation Systems with Stationary Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(2), pages 299-320, March.
- Toda, Hiro Y & Phillips, Peter C B, 1993.
"Vector Autoregressions and Causality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1367-93, November.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Automatic Frequency Domain Inference on Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1329-63, September.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:1:p:61-87 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & POSKITT, D.S., 1996. "Testing for Causation Using Infinite Order Vector Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 61-87, March.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.