Stationarity and Memory of ARCH Models
AbstractSufficient conditions for strict stationarity of ARCH(8) are established, without imposing covariance stationarity and for any specification of the conditional second moment coefficients. GARCH(p,q) as well as the case of hyperbolically decaying coefficients are included, such as the autoregressive coefficients of ARFIMA(p,d,q), once the non-negativity constraints are imposed. Second, we show the necessary and sufficient conditions for covariance stationarity of ARCH(8), both for the levels and the squares. These prove to be much stronger than the strict stationarity conditions. The covariance stationarity condition for the levels rules out long memory in the squares.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series with number /2000/383.
Date of creation: Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
ARCH(8); GARCH(p; q); nonlinear moving average representation; strict and weak stationarity; memory.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Daniel B & Cao, Charles Q, 1992. "Inequality Constraints in the Univariate GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(2), pages 229-35, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Lee, Sang-Won & Hansen, Bruce E., 1994. "Asymptotic Theory for the Garch(1,1) Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 29-52, March.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Karanasos, Menelaos, 1999. "The second moment and the autocovariance function of the squared errors of the GARCH model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 63-76, May.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- Paolo Zaffaroni, 2003. "Gaussian inference on certain long-range dependent volatility models," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 472, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Zaffaroni, Paolo & d'Italia, Banca, 2003. "Gaussian inference on certain long-range dependent volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 199-258, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.