Income Distribution in Brazil 1981-1990: Parametric and Non-Parametric Approaches
AbstractUsing a newly available comprehensive micro-data set we examine changes in the shape of the Brazilian income distribution during the "lost decade" of the 1980s. We adopt alternative parametric and non-parametric approaches to modelling the distribution. We show that inequality changed dramatically during the decade, along with modest changes in average income. Applying nonparametric kernel density estimation methods we also show that the shape of the underlying income distribution was transformed in a particularly interesting fashion.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers with number 21.
Date of creation: Mar 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Income distribution; inequality; kernel density estimation; Pareto functions; Brazil;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vincenzo Lombardo, 2008.
"Growth and inequality effects on poverty reduction in Italy,"
9_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Lombardo Vincenzo, 2011. "Growth and Inequality Effects on Poverty Reduction in Italy," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 241-280.
- Lombardo, Vincenzo, 2008. "Growth and inequality effects on poverty reduction in Italy," MPRA Paper 14351, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2004. "The World Distribution of Income and Income Inequality," IZA Discussion Papers 1267, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- François Bourguignon & Francisco de Hollanda Guimarães Ferreira, 2000. "Understanding inequality in Brazil: a conceptual overview," Textos para discussÃ£o 434, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Heshmati, Almas, 2004.
"Continental and Sub-Continental Income Inequality,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1271, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.