Testing the NEG Model: Further Evidence from Panel Data
AbstractLocal wage variations in the UK are explained by two non-nested rival hypotheses. The first derives from new economic geography theory, in which wages depend on market potential. The second come from urban economics theory, giving a reduced form with wage rates dependent on employment density. The paper examines whether one of these rivals is encompassed by the other by fitting an artificial nesting model using three alternative panel data estimators. The estimates indicate that neither hypothesis is encompassed by its rival, suggesting a need for new, more comprehensive, theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE in its series SERC Discussion Papers with number 0005.
Date of creation: Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.spatialeconomics.ac.uk/SERC/publications/default.asp
Other versions of this item:
- Bernard FINGLETON, 2009. "Testing The Neg Model : Further Evidence From Panel Data," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 30, pages 141-158.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2008. "Testing the NEG model: further evidence from panel data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33147, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mion, Giordano, 2003.
"Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The Case of Italy,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
03-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Mion, Giordano, 2004. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 97-118, July.
- MION, Giordano, 2003. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," CORE Discussion Papers 2003015, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giordano Mion, 2002. "Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The case of Italy," series 0006, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jan 2002.
- MION, Giordano, . "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1839, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.