Private Sector Employment Growth, 1998-2004: A Panel Analysis of British Workplaces
AbstractUsing nationally representative panel data for British private sector workplaces this paper points to the importance of distinguishing between workplace and firm size when analysing employment growth, and finds that the factors associated with growth differ markedly between single independent establishments and those belonging to multi-site firms. Results also differ according to whether one adjusts for sample selection arising from workplace survival, and according to whether one distinguishes between growth per se and internal, organic employment growth. We find evidence at the plant level that is consistent with creative job destruction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0861.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
employment growth; workplace survival; workplace age; workplace size; humancapital; sunk costs;
Other versions of this item:
- Alex Bryson & Satu Nurmi, 2011. "Private sector employment growth, 1998--2004: a panel analysis of British workplaces," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 85-104.
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2008-06-07 (Business Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2008-06-07 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jones, Melanie K. & Latreille, Paul L. & Sloane, Peter J., 2011. "Job Anxiety, Work-Related Psychological Illness and Workplace Performance," IZA Discussion Papers 5809, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.