Mind the Gaps: the Evolution of Regional Inequalities in the UK, 1982-1997
AbstractIn this paper we apply earnings equations for UK regions over 1982-1997. We find strong evidence of rapid convergence across regions regarding the determinants of individual wages (ie regional fixed-effects, gender gaps and returns to education and experience). Data on average regional earnings, by contrast, point at a worsening of UK regional inequalities and a rise in the North-South gap. Education accounts for most of the discrepancy between aggregate divergence and disaggregated convergence. First, London gained because its workforce became relatively more educated over the period. Second, returns to education increased nation-wide, which favoured the most educated regions (ie London). Third, returns to education were initially lower in London but they (partially) caught up with the rest of the country. Had returns to education and their distribution across UK regions remained stable over the period, the UK North-South divide would have decreased.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0485.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
Wage equation; regional inequalities;
Other versions of this item:
- Gilles Duranton & Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2000. "Mind the gaps: the evolution of regional inequalities in the UK, 1982-1997," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20135, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- N0 - Economic History - - General
- R14 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Land Use Patterns
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Nickell & Tracy Jones & Glenda Quintini, 2000.
"A picture of job insecurity facing British men,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20141, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Simon Burgess & H Turon, 2000.
"Unemployment Dynamics, Duration and Equilibrium: Evidence from Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0474, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burgess, Simon & Turon, Hélène, 2000. "Unemployment Dynamics, Duration and Equilibrium: Evidence from Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 2490, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 1998. "Dynamics of Regional Growth in Europe: Social and Political Factors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198233831, September.
- Vieira, José A. Cabral & Couto, João Pedro Almeida & Borges Tiago, Maria Teresa, 2005.
"Inter-Regional Wage Dispersion in Portugal,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1664, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Laurent Gobillon & Carine Milcent, 2013.
"Spatial disparities in hospital performance,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 13(6), pages 1013-1040, November.
- Gobillon, Laurent & Milcent, Carine, 2010. "Spatial disparities in hospital performances," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1007, CEPREMAP.
- Laurent Gobillon & Carine Milcent, 2013. "Spatial disparities in hospital performance," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00879787, HAL.
- Laurent Gobillon & Carine Milcent, 2010. "Spatial Disparities in Hospital Performances," Working Papers 2010-19, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gobillon, Laurent & Milcent, Carine, 2012. "Spatial Disparities in Hospital Performance," IZA Discussion Papers 6936, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gobillon, Laurent & Milcent, Carine, 2010. "Spatial Disparities in Hospital Performances," CEPR Discussion Papers 7826, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00586837 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rice, P., 2002. "The great divide: regional differences in education and training," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0201, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Lubomira Anastassova, 2006. "Productivity Differences and Agglomeration Across Districts of Great Britain," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp289, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.