Job Creation and Job Destruction in Great Britain in the 1980s
AbstractThis paper characterizes the processes of job creation and job destruction (JC&D) in Britain, and provides more 'stylized facts' to hold up against models of JC&D. The analysis is based on data from the Workplace Industrial Relations Survey. (WIRS) surveys of 1980, 1984 and 1990 each of which are representative cross-sections of approximately 2000 continuing British establishments. They cover all sectors (excluding agriculture and mining), public and private, manufacturing and the correspondingly substantial JC&S rates. We show that both JC&D are extremely concentrated : about 50% of each of these is accounted for by just 4% of continuing establishments.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0287.
Date of creation: Apr 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
Other versions of this item:
- David G. Blanchflower & Simon Burgess, 1996. "Job creation and job destruction in Great Britain in the 1980s," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 17-38, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Dries, Liesbeth & Kancs, d'Artis, 2010.
"Job creation and job destruction in the EU agriculture,"
114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany, European Association of Agricultural Economists
61351, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d’Artis, 2012. "Job creation and job destruction in EU agriculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 600-608.
- Liesbeth Dries & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2012. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in EU Agriculture," LICOS Discussion Papers, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven 31512, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2011. "Job Creation And Job Destruction In The Eu Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland, European Association of Agricultural Economists 114430, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chow, Clement Kong-Wing & Fung, Michael Ka Yiu, 2000. "Small businesses and liquidity constraints in financing business investment: Evidence from shanghai's manufacturing sector," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 363-383, July.
- Raphael Bottura Corbi & Naércio Aquino Menezes Filho, 2007. "Liberdade Econômica, Liberdade Política E Felicidade: Uma Análise Empírica De Um Painel De Países," Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting], ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Gr 176, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Sheng, Yu & Xu, Xinpeng, 2011. "Real exchange rate, productivity and labor market frictions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 587-603, April.
- Martin-Barroso, David & Nuñez-Serrano, Juan Andres & Turrion, Jaime & Velazquez, Francisco J., 2011. "The European Map of Job Flows," MPRA Paper 33602, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.