Estimating the "True" Cost of Job Loss: Evidence Using Matched Data from Califormia 1991-2000
AbstractEstimates of the cost of job displacement from survey and administrative data differ markedly. This paper uses a unique match of data between the Displaced Worker Survey (DWS) and administrative wage records from California to examine the sources of this discrepancy. When we use similar estimation methods and account for measurement error in survey wages correlated with worker demographics, estimates of earnings losses at displacement are similar from both datasets and significantly larger than those based on the DWS alone. Also correcting for measurement errors in reported displacements suggests both sources of such estimates may yield lower bounds for the true cost of displacement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau in its series Working Papers with number 09-14.
Length: 77 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freeman, Richard Barry, 1984.
"Longitudinal Analyses of the Effects of Trade Unions,"
4631951, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Freeman, Richard B, 1984. "Longitudinal Analyses of the Effects of Trade Unions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1983. "Longitudinal Analyses of the Effects of Trade Unions," NBER Working Papers 1207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Akerlof, George A & Yellen, Janet L, 1985. "Unemployment through the Filter of Memory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 747-73, August.
- Kuhn, Peter & Sweetman, Arthur, 1999.
"Vulnerable Seniors: Unions, Tenure, and Wages Following Permanent Job Loss,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 671-93, October.
- Peter Kuhn & Arthur Sweetman, . "Vulnerable Seniors: Unions, Tenure and Wages Following Permanent Job Loss," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 20, McMaster University.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Brigitte C. Madrian & Lars John Lefgren, 1999. "A Note on Longitudinally Matching Current Population Survey (CPS) Respondents," NBER Technical Working Papers 0247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carrington, William J & Zaman, Asad, 1994. "Interindustry Variation in the Costs of Job Displacement," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(2), pages 243-75, April.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel Sullivan, 1992.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
92-11, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1995.
"A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1996. "A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 5-16, October.
- John M. Abowd & Lars Vilhuber, 2002.
"The Sensitivity of Economic Statistics to Coding Errors in Personal Identifiers,"
Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Technical Papers
2002-17, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau, revised Mar 2003.
- Abowd, John M. & Vilhuber, Lars, 2005. "The Sensitivity of Economic Statistics to Coding Errors in Personal Identifiers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 133-152, April.
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F., 1991.
"Layoffs and Lemons,"
3442782, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- repec:pri:indrel:761 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael W. Elsby & Ryan Michaels & Gary Solon, 2007.
"The Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
12853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1987.
"The Costs of Worker Displacement,"
NBER Working Papers
1495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kletzer, Lori Gladstein, 1989. "Returns to Seniority after Permanent Job Loss," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 536-43, June.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1991. "Are Workers Permanently Scarred by Job Displacements?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 319-24, March.
- repec:pri:indrel:798 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pri:indrel:1041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas J. Kane & Cecilia Elena Rouse & Douglas Staiger, 1999. "Estimating Returns to Schooling When Schooling is Misreported," NBER Working Papers 7235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bound, John & Brown, Charles & Mathiowetz, Nancy, 2001. "Measurement error in survey data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 59, pages 3705-3843 Elsevier.
- Henry S. Farber, 2010. "Job Loss and the Decline in Job Security in the United States," NBER Chapters, in: Labor in the New Economy, pages 223-262 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Oyer, Paul, 2004. "Recall bias among displaced workers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 397-402, March.
- Yolanda K. Kodrzycki, 2007. "Using unexpected recalls to examine the long-term earnings effects of job displacement," Working Papers 07-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Stevens, Ann Huff, 1997. "Persistent Effects of Job Displacement: The Importance of Multiple Job Losses," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 165-88, January.
- repec:fth:prinin:382 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992.
"Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?,"
NBER Working Papers
3182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F, 1992. "Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-industry Wage Differentials?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 515-35, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.