Determinants of the development of corporate bond markets in Argentina: One size does not fit all
AbstractConventional theory leads to expect bonds to be a financing vehicle for large firms because of economies of scale and contracting costs. We find both in our econometric evidence for firms quoted on Latin American stock exchanges, and in our survey results for Argentina, that size of assets is a robust determinant of the use of bond finance. This result, together with the fact that there are few firms that are large in terms of market value, can help understand why Argentina, as well as Latin America, has small bond markets in terms of the ratio of the stock of bonds to GDP. Since firm value represents the present value of the cash flows against which the firm borrows, the outstanding stock of corporate bonds is as small as the size of Argentine firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del CEMA in its series CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. with number 348.
Length: 1-25 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
debt structure; leverage; short term debt; corporate bonds; firm size; firm value;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2007-05-19 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2007-05-19 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-LAM-2007-05-19 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melnik, Arie & Plaut, Steven, 1986. " Loan Commitment Contracts, Terms of Lending, and Credit Allocation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(2), pages 425-35, June.
- Michael J. Barclay & Clifford W. Smith & Ross L. Watts, 1995. "The Determinants Of Corporate Leverage And Dividend Policies," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 7(4), pages 4-19.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994.
"What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
NBER Working Papers
4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk, 2005.
"Corporate Governance and Ownership: Measurement and Impact on Corporate Performance and Dividend Policies in Argentina,"
Research Department Publications
3212, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Ownership: Measurement and Impact on Corporate Performance and Dividend Policies in Argentina," Department of Economics, Working Papers 059, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Alejandro Bedoya & Roque Fernández & Celeste González & Sergio Pernice & Jorge M. Streb, 2007. "Corporate bonds, asset-backed securities and deferred checks in Argentina," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 347, Universidad del CEMA.
- Blackwell, David W. & Kidwell, David S., 1988. "An investigation of cost differences between public sales and private placements of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-278, December.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Alejandro Bedoya & Celeste González & Sergio Pernice & Jorge M.Streb & Alejo Czerwonko & Leandro Díaz Santillán, 2007. "Database of corporate bonds from Argentina," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 344, Universidad del CEMA.
- María Alegre & Sergio Pernice & Jorge M. Streb, 2007. "Determinants of the development of corporate bond markets in Argentina: survey to firms and investors," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 345, Universidad del CEMA.
- Endo, Tadashi, 2008. "Broadening the offering choice of corporate bonds in emerging markets : cost-effective access to debt capital," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4655, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.