Enhancing corporate governance with one-and two-tiered convertible preferred stock
AbstractThis paper sets out a proposal by which two distinctive and new types of preferred stock (one- and two-tiered convertibles) could be used to sharpen up a company's governance. Firstly, the framework of analysis for standard preferreds will be outlined, mainly their valuation, underlying incremental cash flows, control rights and contractual features. Secondly, one - and two - tiered convertible preferred are introduced, setting up their financial design, how they convey control rights and contractual characteristics, and giving heed to a simple valuation for those preferreds. Last of all, it will be shown how the one- and twotiered convertibles come in handy to deal with some particular governance topics: capital structure, debt refinancing and compensation schemes for management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del CEMA in its series CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. with number 260.
Date of creation: Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
preferred stock; convertible preferred stock; corporate governance; control rights; compensation scheme.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-07 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith D. Harvey & M. Cary Collins & James W. Wansley, 2003. "The Impact of Trust-Preferred Issuance on Bank Default Risk and Cash Flow: Evidence from the Debt and Equity Securities Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 38(2), pages 235-256, 05.
- H. Lawrence Wilsey, 1947. "The Use Of Sinking Funds In Preferred Stock Issues," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 2(2), pages 31-42, October.
- Arnold R. Cowan, 1996. "Convertible Exchangeable Preferred Stock," Finance 9606001, EconWPA, revised 12 Aug 1996.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2003.
"Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(2), pages 281-315, 04.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," NBER Working Papers 7660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," CRSP working papers 513, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets The Real World: An Empirical Analysis Of Venture Capital Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 2421, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "How corporate governance and globalization can run afoul of the law and good practices in business: The Enron's disgraceful affair," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 225, Universidad del CEMA.
- Sorensen, Eric H. & Hawkins, Clark A., 1981. "On the Pricing of Preferred Stock," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 515-528, November.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2003. "THE SEMANTICS OF GOVERNANCE. (The common thread running through corporate, public, and global governance.)," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 245, Universidad del CEMA.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2002. "Incremental cash flows, information sets and conflicts of interest," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 220, Universidad del CEMA.
- Oliver Hart, 2001.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1924, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Ferro, Gustavo, 2009.
"Gobierno Corporativo: los problemas, estado actual de la discusión y un ejercicio de medición para Argentina
[Corporate Governance: the problems, the current stage of the discussion and a measure," MPRA Paper 15630, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.