Corporate Governance in Argentina - New Developments through 1991-2000
AbstractThis paper develops and provide evidence for three statements: a) In Argentina, there has been a marked shift in corporate governance structure from big family-owned domestic companies towards foreign groups and investment funds ownership. b)While coping with governance issues, Argentina has been performing as if it were following the common law countries tradition. c) The capital markets development has been nurturing contradictory forces which could bring about alternative governance structures in the foreseeable future. To ground these statements on facts, we previously survey corporate governance issues in Argentina before 1991, the underlying legal framework, the new rules of the game in capital structure and ownership as from 1991, largely due to a wave of privatizations, restructuring, mergers and acquisitions that has taken place through the last decade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del CEMA in its series CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. with number 154.
Date of creation: Sep 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wendy Carlin & Colin Mayer, 2000.
"International Evidence On Corporate Governance: Lessons For Developing Countries,"
Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 2(2), pages 133-160.
- Wendy Carlin & Colin Mayer, 2002. "International Evidence on Corporate Governance: Lessons for Developing Countries," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(suppl_1), pages 37-59, February.
- Marco Pagano & Fabio Panetta & Luigi Zingales, .
"Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis,"
CRSP working papers
330, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Marco Pagano & Fabio Panetta & Luigi Zingales, 1995. "Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5367, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pagano, Marco & Panetta, Fabio & Zingales, Luigi, 1996. "Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1332, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eric S. Maskin, 1999. "Recent Theoretical Work on the Soft Budget Constraint," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 421-425, May.
- Guofu Tan & Justin Yifu Lin, 1999. "Policy Burdens, Accountability, and the Soft Budget Constraint," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 426-431, May.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1986.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Control,"
3606237, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Zingales, Luigi, 1998.
CEPR Discussion Papers
1806, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1991. "Economic Perspectives on Privatization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 111-132, Spring.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 1999. "A Corporate Finance Cash Flow model with Float," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 142, Universidad del CEMA.
- Mark Carey S. & Stephen Prowse & John Rea & Gregory Udell, 1993. "The economics of the private placement market," Staff Studies 166, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Luis H. Gutiérrez & Carlos Pombo & Rodrigo Taborda, 2005. "Propiedad y control en empresas colombianas," Research Department Publications 3221, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Gutierrez, Luis H. & Pombo, Carlos & Taborda, Rodrigo, 2008.
"Ownership and control in Colombian corporations,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 22-47, February.
- Carlos Pombo & Luis H Gutierrez & Rodrigo Taborda, 2005. "Ownership and Control in Colombian Corporations," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 003311, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Luis H. Gutiérrez & Carlos Pombo & Rodrigo Taborda, 2005. "Ownership and Control in Colombian Corporations," Research Department Publications 3220, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.