New perspectives in the design of pharmaceutical copayments
AbstractIn this paper we propose a new approach for the design of pharmaceutical copayments. We departure from the standard efficiency argument that advocates for copayments that are decreasing in the health benefits of the patients in order to discipline consumption. Under our approach, copayments are justified by the difficulties for the provider to fully fund their health services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Estudios Andaluces in its series Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces with number E2009/07.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
pharmaceutical copayments; equity; axiomatic bargaining; claims;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Cuadras-Morató & José-Luis Pinto-Prades & José-Mar�a Abellán-Perpi�án, 2001. "Equity considerations in health care: the relevance of claims," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 187-205.
- Pauly, Mark V. & Blavin, Fredric E., 2008. "Moral hazard in insurance, value-based cost sharing, and the benefits of blissful ignorance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1407-1417, December.
- Clark, Derek, 1995. "Priority setting in health care: An axiomatic bargaining approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 345-360, August.
- Chun, Youngsub & Thomson, William, 1992.
"Bargaining problems with claims,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 19-33, August.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 2006. "Reconsidering the moral hazard-risk avoidance tradeoff," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1005-1014, September.
- Chun, Youngsub, 1988. "The equal-loss principle for bargaining problems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 103-106.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Teresa Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.