Analyzing the Determinants of Freight Shippers’ Behavior: Own-Account versus Purchased Transport in Andalusia
AbstractPrevious work in the demand for freight transportation has focused in the rail-truck substitution problem, leaving aside the prior own-account versus third-party tradeoff, often found in transportation decision-making. In Andalusia, domestic freight transport takes place mostly by road, an important part of which is own-account transport. The purpose of this paper is to analyze shippers’ behavior relative to this question, paying particular attention to whether the decision to use a private form of transport is taken on a short term or on a medium term horizon. In order to provide a quantitative evaluation, as an illustrative case, the models developed are tested on data gathered by means of a sample survey conducted to Andalusian enterprises belonging to the food industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Estudios Andaluces in its series Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces with number E2004/76.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Freight transport demand; shippers’ behavior; discrete-choice models; own-account transport.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2005-02-20 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-GEO-2005-02-20 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Small, K. & Winston, C., 1998. ""The Demand for Transportation: Models and Applications"," Papers 98-99-6, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Daughety, Andrew F & Inaba, Frederick S, 1981. "An Analysis of Regulatory Change in the Transportation Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 246-55, May.
- Friedlaender, Ann F & Spady, Richard H, 1980. "A Derived Demand Function for Freight Transportation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 432-41, August.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1982. "Some Approaches to the Correction of Selectivity Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 355-72, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Teresa Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.