Linking public investment to private investment
AbstractLiterature describes a positive effect of public investment on private capital accumulation. This paper seeks to provide new empirical evidence on this latter relationship for the case of Spanish regions over period 1965-1997. We use a crowding-out theoretical framework and panel data methodology. The results show a positive effect of productive and social public investment (especially in education) on private investment. The spillover effects generated by productive infrastructures located in other regions do not seem to encourage private investment in neighbouring regions. Public consumption and interest rate exert a negative influence on private capital accumulation. These results are robust to changes in the econometric specification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Estudios Andaluces in its series Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces with number E2001/04Revision.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Crowding-out; regional economics; investment; panel data.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2005-04-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MAC-2005-04-09 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2005-04-09 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1988.
"The Equilibrium Approach to Fiscal Policy,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(1), pages 41-62, February.
- Mehdi S. Monadjemi, 1996. "Public Expenditure And Private Investment: A Study of Three OECD Countries," Studies in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Kent 9601, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Arellano, Manuel, 1993. "On the testing of correlated effects with panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 87-97, September.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- Erenburg, S. J. & Wohar, Mark E., 1995. "Public and private investment: Are there causal linkages?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-30.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
Staff Memoranda, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
88-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Khalifa Ghali, 1998. "Public investment and private capital formation in a vector error-correction model of growth," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(6), pages 837-844.
- Bhargava, A & Franzini, L & Narendranathan, W, 1982. "Serial Correlation and the Fixed Effects Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 533-49, October.
- Aschauer, David Alan & Greenwood, Jeremy, 1985. "Macroeconomic effects of fiscal policy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 91-138, January.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Isabel Argimon & Jose Gonzalez-Paramo & Jose Roldan, 1997. "Evidence of public spending crowding-out from a panel of OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1001-1010.
- Pradhan, B. K. & Ratha, D. K. & Sarma, Atul, 1990. "Complementarity between public and private investment in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 101-116, July.
- Ghassan, Hassan B. & Alhajhoj, Hassan R., 2009.
"اختبار أثر مزاحمة الإنفاق الحكومي للإستثمار الخاص في الاقتصاد السعودي عبر المعاينة المعادة
[Crowding out Test of Govern," MPRA Paper 54453, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Teresa Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.