Diagnosing Unilateral Market Power in Electricity Reserves Market
AbstractWe use information released during the investigation of the California electricity crisis of 2000 and 2001 by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to diagnose allocative inefficiencies in the stateâ€™s wholesale reserve markets. Material that has been largely neglected allows us to replicate market outcomes with a high degree of precision for the second and third quarters of 2000. Building on the work of Wolak (2000), we calculate a lower bound for the sellersâ€™ price-cost margins using the inverse elasticities of their residual demand curves. The downward bias in our estimates stems from the fact that we donâ€™t account for the hierarchical substitutability of the reserve types. The margins averaged at least 20 percent for the two highest quality types of reserves, regulation and spinning, generating millions of dollars in transfers to a handful of sellers. We attribute the deviations from marginal cost pricing to the marketsâ€™ high concentration and a principal-agent relationship that emerged from their design.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis in its series Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series with number qt14q6c0mk.
Date of creation: 15 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2028 Academic Surge, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616
Phone: (530) 752-6548
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/itsdavis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kai-Uwe Kühn & Matilde Machado, 2004.
"Bilateral Market Power And Vertical Integration In The Spanish Electricity Spot Market,"
- Kühn, Kai-Uwe & Machado, Matilde Pinto, 2004. "Bilateral Market Power and Vertical Integration in the Spanish Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 4590, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kamat, Rajnish & Oren, Shmuel S, 2002. "Rational Buyer Meets Rational Seller: Reserves Market Equilibria under Alternative Auction Designs," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 247-88, May.
- Frank Wolak, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Hedge Contracts on Bidding Behavior in a Competitive Electricity Market," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 1-39.
- Willems, Bert & Rumiantseva, Ina & Weigt, Hannes, 2009.
"Cournot versus Supply Functions: What does the data tell us?,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 38-47, January.
- Willems, Bert & Rumiantseva, I. & Weigt, H., 2007. "Cournot versus Supply Functions: What Does the Data tell us?," Discussion Paper 2007-023, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Willems, Bert & Rumiantseva, I. & Weigt, H., 2007. "Cournot Versus Supply Functions: What does the Data Tell us?," Discussion Paper 2007-63, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bert WILLEMS & Ina RUMIANTSEVA & Hannes WEIGT, 2007. "Cournot versus supply functions: what does the data tell us?," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0720, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992.
"Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-53, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chao, Hung-Po & Wilson, Robert, 2002. "Multi-dimensional Procurement Auctions for Power Reserves: Robust Incentive-Compatible Scoring and Settlement Rules," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 161-83, September.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Frank A. Wolak & Robert H. Patrick, 2001. "The Impact of Market Rules and Market Structure on the Price Determination Process in the England and Wales Electricity Market," NBER Working Papers 8248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Par Holmberg, 2007. "Supply Function Equilibrium with Asymmetric Capacities and Constant Marginal Costs," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 55-82.
- Ramteen Sioshansi & Shmuel Oren, 2007. "How good are supply function equilibrium models: an empirical analysis of the ERCOT balancing market," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Roberts, Michael R., 2005. "An empirical examination of restructured electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 791-817, September.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Klemperer, Paul D & Meyer, Margaret A, 1989. "Supply Function Equilibria in Oligopoly under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1243-77, November.
- Steven L. Puller, 2007. "Pricing and Firm Conduct in California's Deregulated Electricity Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 75-87, February.
- Barmack, Matthew A., 2003. "What Do the ISOs' Public Bid Data Reveal about the California Market?," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 63-73.
- Green, Richard, 1999. "The Electricity Contract Market in England and Wales," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 107-24, March.
- Green, Richard J, 1996. "Increasing Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 205-16, June.
- Carl Blumstein & Lee Friedman & Richard Green, 2002. "The History of Electricity Restructuring in California," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 9-38, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.