Historical Research on International Lending and Debt
AbstractThe parallels between debt crises past and present have attracted a large number of social scientists to the history of foreign lending and default. In this article, I describe the findings of the recent literature on the subject. The questions posed have obvious relevance to the current policy debate over the debt of less-developed countries. What features of international capital markets have long rendered them vulnerable to generalized crisis? What events tend to spawn debt-servicing difficulties and to provoke default? What have been the consequences of default for lenders and borrowers? What approaches historically have proven most effective at clearing away the residue of debt crises? I concentrate on 20th century experience: on the lending of the 1920s, on the debt crisis of the 1930s, and on the recovery of capital markets after World War II.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley in its series Department of Economics, Working Paper Series with number qt39n6n9ns.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: F502 Haas, Berkeley CA 94720-1922
Phone: (510) 642-1922
Fax: (510) 642-5018
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/iber_econ/
More information through EDIRC
international lending; sovereign default; Social and Behavioral Sciences;
Other versions of this item:
- Barry Eichengreen, 1991. "Historical Research on International Lending and Debt," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 149-169, Spring.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990. "Historical Research on International Lending and Debt," Economics Working Papers 90-153, University of California at Berkeley.
- N20 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - General, International, or Comparative
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bernhard Paasche & Stanley E. Zin, 2001. "Competition and Intervention in Sovereign Debt Markets," NBER Working Papers 8679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Curzio Giannini, 2003. "Verso una procedura fallimentare per il debito sovrano e maggiore disciplina nei finanziamenti del Fondo Monetario Internazionale. Una valutazione di mezza via," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 56(222), pages 161-193.
- Mario Tonveronachi, 2006. "Debito estero e fragilità finanziaria nell’ottica dei paesi emergenti," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 59(233), pages 45-72.
- Schweickert, Rainer, 1996. "[Book Review of] Coping with capital surges : the return of finance to Latin America, Ricardo Ffrench-Davis ... (eds.) : Boulder, Rienner, 1995," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2215, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Jean-Michel Severino & Pierre Jacquet, 2004. "Prêter, donner : comment aider ?," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 74(1), pages 285-317.
- Ian W. McLean, 2005.
"Recovery from Depression: Australia in an Argentine Mirror: 1895- 1913,"
- IanW. McLean, 2006. "Recovery From Depression: Australia In An Argentine Mirror 1895-1913," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 46(3), pages 215-241, November.
- Ian W. McLean, 2005. "Recovery from Depression: Australia in an Argentine Mirror: 1895-1913," School of Economics Working Papers 2005-19, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008.
"This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises,"
CEMA Working Papers
595, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2014. "This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 1065-1188, November.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 13882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kim Oosterlinck, 2013. "Sovereign debt defaults: insights from history," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 697-714, WINTER.
- Mario Tonveronachi, 2006. "Foreign debt and financial fragility in the perspective of the emerging countries," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 59(236), pages 23-48.
- Peter Montiel & Samir Jahjah, 2003. "Exchange Rate Policy and Debt Crises in Emerging Economies," IMF Working Papers 03/60, International Monetary Fund.
- Mario Tonveronachi, 2006. "Foreign debt and financial fragility in the perspective of the emerging countries," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 59(236), pages 23-48.
- S Jahjah & P Montiel, 2006. "Corruption Clubs: The Allocation of Public Expenditure and Economic Growth," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 70, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Christoph Trebesch, 2009. "The Cost of Aggressive Sovereign Debt Policies: How Much is thePrivate Sector Affected?," IMF Working Papers 09/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Curzio Giannini, 2003. "Towards a sovereign bankruptcy procedure and greater restraint in IMF crisis lending. An interim assessmen," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 56(225), pages 83-112.
- Curzio Giannini, 2003. "Towards a sovereign bankruptcy procedure and greater restraint in IMF crisis lending. An interim assessmen," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 56(225), pages 83-112.
- Payne, James E., 2005. "Savings-investment dynamics in Mexico," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 525-534, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.