East Asia and Europe During the 1997 Asian Collapse: A Clinical Study of a Financial Crisis
AbstractAsian stock markets are compared with European markets before and during the 1997 Asian crisis. The clinical issue is whether regional inter-dependence became larger around the crisis, fomenting investor fears of contagion and reducing asset values because of lower diversification potential. Statistical measures are developed to aid in this inquiry. We find that European and East Asian countries were not susceptible to volatility contagion in the pre-crisis era but that susceptibility increased significantly in Asia with the onset of the crisis. Covariances, correlations, and volatilities increased from the pre-crisis to the crisis period in both regions, but the percentage increases were much larger in Asia. Diversification potential was better in Asia than in Europe before the crisis; this was reversed during the crisis. The observed decline in diversification potency in Asia is reason enough for large declines in asset values though one cannot prove, of course, that it was the cause rather than the effect of the crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA in its series University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management with number qt09f9j331.
Date of creation: 30 Jan 2002
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012.
"No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality,"
Working Papers CEB
12-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brière, Marie & Chapelle, Ariane & Szafarz, Ariane, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1729-1744.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Chapelle, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7746, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No Contagion, only Globalization and Flight to Quality," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/149092, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," DULBEA Working Papers 08-22.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2008.
"Crisis-Robust Bond Portfolios,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/7748, Paris Dauphine University.
- Leung, Charles Ka Yui & CHEUNG, W. Y. Patrick & TANG, C. H. Edward, 2011.
"Financial Crisis and the Comovements of Housing Sub-markets: Do relationships change after a crisis?,"
31627, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung & Patrick Wai Yin Cheung & Edward Chi Ho Tang, 2013. "Financial Crisis and the Co-movements of Housing Sub-markets: Do relationships change after a crisis?," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 16(1), pages 68-118.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2009. "Stress testing by financial intermediaries: Implications for portfolio selection and asset pricing," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Chung, Huimin, 2005. "The contagious effects of the Asian financial crisis: some evidence from ADR and country funds," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 67-84, February.
- Sebastian Edwards & Javier Gómez Biscarri & Fernando Pérez de Gracia, 2003.
"Stock Market Cycles, Financial Liberalization and Volatility,"
Faculty Working Papers
08/03, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Biscarri, Javier Gomez & Perez de Gracia, Fernando, 2003. "Stock market cycles, financial liberalization and volatility," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 925-955, December.
- Sebastian Edwards & Javier Gomez Biscarri & Fernando Perez de Gracia, 2003. "Stock Market Cycles, Financial Liberalization and Volatility," NBER Working Papers 9817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jozef Barunik & Evzen Kocenda & Lukas Vacha, 2013. "Gold, Oil, and Stocks," Papers 1308.0210, arXiv.org.
- Ning, Cathy, 2010. "Dependence structure between the equity market and the foreign exchange market-A copula approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 743-759, September.
- Ferreira, Miguel A. & Gama, Paulo M., 2010. "Correlation dynamics of global industry portfolios," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 35-47, February.
- Srideep Ganguly & Roberto Benelli, 2007. "Financial Linkages Between the U.S. and Latin Amercia: Evidence from Daily Data," IMF Working Papers 07/262, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.