Optimal taxation with joint production of agriculture and rural amenities
AbstractWe show that, when there is joint production of an agricultural good and rural amenities, the first-best allocation of resources can be implemented with a tax on the agricultural good and some subsidies on the production factors (land and labor). The use of a subsidy on the agricultural good can only be explained by the desire of the policymaker to redistribute income from the consumers to the farmers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley in its series Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series with number qt0nv609hm.
Date of creation: 15 Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 207 Giannini Hall #3310, Berkeley, CA 94720-3310
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/are_ucb/
More information through EDIRC
rural markets; agricultural economics; Social and Behavioral Sciences;
Other versions of this item:
- Casamatta, Georges & Rausser, Gordon & Simon, Leo, 2011. "Optimal taxation with joint production of agriculture and rural amenities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 544-553, September.
- Casamatta, Georges & Rausser, Gordon C. & Simon, Leo K., 2008. "Optimal taxation with joint production of agriculture and rural amenities," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1068, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Casamatta, Georges & Rausser, Gordon & Simon, Leo K, 2007. "Optimal Taxation with Joint Production of Agriculture and Rural Amenities," CEPR Discussion Papers 6615, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey M. Peterson & Richard N. Boisvert & Harry de Gorter, 2002. "Environmental policies for a multifunctional agricultural sector in open economies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(4), pages 423-443, December.
- Jussi Lankoski & Markku Ollikainen, 2003. "Agri-environmental externalities: a framework for designing targeted policies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 51-75, March.
- le Cotty, Tristan & Voituriez, Tancrede, 2003. "Multifunctionality And Non-Agricultural Supply Of Public Goods," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25850, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- David R. Harvey, 2003. "Agri-environmental Relationships and Multi-functionality: Further Considerations," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5), pages 705-725, 05.
- David Blandford & Richard N. Boisvert & Linda Fulponi, 2003. "Nontrade Concerns: Reconciling Domestic Policy Objectives with Freer Trade in Agricultural Products," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 668-673.
- Ollikainen, Markku & Lankoski, Jussi E., 2005.
"Multifunctional agriculture: The effect of non-public good on socially optimal policies,"
11866, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Ollikainen, Markku & Lankoski, Jussi E., 2005. "Multifunctional Agriculture: The Effect of Non-Public Goods on Socially Optimal Policies," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24611, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Blandford, David & Boisvert, Richard N., 2002. "Multifunctional Agriculture and Domestic/International Policy Choice," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 3(1).
- Boisvert, Richard N. & Blandford, David, 2011. "Meeting multiple policy objectives under GHG emissions reduction targets," Working Papers 126617, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.