Le Développement Financier et la Problématique de Réduction de la Pauvreté
AbstractThis paper addresses the relationship between financial development and poverty, taking into account the direct link and the indirect link through economic growth. Using a panel of 81 developing countries over 1988-1997, we find evidence that financial development reduces the headcount poverty index, even after controlling for mean income effect. Depending on the financial development indicator used, this direct effect ranges from 8 to 21% of the total effect. Previous research focused only on the indirect effect. Thus they might have underestimated the potential poverty reduction effect of the development of financial system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CERDI in its series Working Papers with number 200408.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
economic growth; Poverty Reduction; Financial Development;
Other versions of this item:
- Kangni KPODAR, 2004. "Le Developpement Financier Et La Problematique De Reduction De La Pauvrete," Macroeconomics 0407001, EconWPA.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abdelhafidh Dhrifi, 2013. "Financial Development and Poverty: What Role for Growth and Inequality?," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(4), pages 119-129, October.
- Alyson Falcucci, 2012. "La microfinance et son impact sur la pauvreté dans les pays en développement," Post-Print dumas-00759892, HAL.
- Kangni KPODAR & Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY, 2004.
"Développement financier, instabilité financière,croissance et pauvreté,"
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Kangni KPODAR, 2004. "Développement financier, instabilité financière, croissance et pauvreté," Macroeconomics 0407003, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.