Room for Manoeuvre – Monetary Policy Over the Next Eighteen Months, and the Allure of Price-Level Targeting
AbstractMoving to price-level targeting from inflation-rate targeting could be a sound option for the Bank of Canada after 2011, when its current agreement with the Minister of Finance is up for renewal. However, the authors say the viability of that option rests on whether the Bank can maintain its credibility in monetary policy over the coming months, as it seeks a balance between providing support to the still fragile economic recovery and avoiding a resurgence of inflation above its 2 percent inflation target.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.D. Howe Institute in its series e-briefs with number 97.
Length: 5 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published on the C.D. Howe Institute website, April 2010
Monetary Policy; Bank of Canada; price-level targeting; inflation-rate targeting; exchange rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-05-08 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2010-05-08 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-05-08 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benjamin Dachis, 2010. "Picking up Savings: The Benefits of Competition in Municipal Waste Services," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 308, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.