An Empirical Study on Price Rigidity
AbstractThis paper uses unpublished retailer-level microdata underlying UK consumer price indices to investigate price rigidity. Based on the conventional method, little rigidity is found in frequency of price change, since the implied price duration is only 5.5 months. However, it significantly underestimates the true duration (9.3 months) as suggested by cross-sectional method. Results also exhibit conspicuous heterogeneities in rigidity across sectors and shop types but weak difference across regions and time. The overall distribution of duration can be decomposed by sector into a decreasing component and a cyclical component with 4-month cycles. Both time and state dependent features exist in pricing. These findings support New Keynesian theories and enable a better calibration to improve the performances of macroeconomic models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section in its series Cardiff Economics Working Papers with number E2010/11.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision: Nov 2010
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Aberconway Building, Colum Drive, CARDIFF, CF10 3EU
Phone: +44 (0) 29 20874417
Fax: +44 (0) 29 20874419
Web page: http://business.cardiff.ac.uk/research/academic-sections/economics/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
Price Rigidity; Price Duration; Microdata; Cross-Sectional;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nathaniel E. Urama & Moses O. Oduh & Emmanuel O. Nwosu & Augustine C. Odo, 2013. "Price Rigidity and Monetary Non-Neutrality in Developing Countries: Evidence from Nigeria," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(2), pages 525-536.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruce Webb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.