Growth of Work Opportunities In India: 1983 - 1999-2000
AbstractAgainst the backdrop of concerns about the slow down in the growth of total work force in the 1990s (relative to the 1980s) and of “jobless growth”, this paper offers a more nuanced assessment of the growth of different types of employment opportunities. This is done through an explicit focus on employment quality -- by reference to location of workers in non-poor households -- rather than simply focusing on the change in the number of workers. Also, based on a fresh assessment of the DGE and T estimates and NSS-Survey based estimates of organised sector employment, the 1990s are shown to be a period of accelerated growth in the number of regular wage/salaried workers rather than of stagnation or decline in the growth of jobs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its series Working papers with number 131.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- K. Sundaram, 2010. "Growth of Work Opportunities In India: 1983 – 1999-2000," Working Papers id:3011, eSocialSciences.
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Sundaram & Suresh D. Tendulkar, 2004. "The Poor in the Indian Labour Force in the 1990s," Working papers 128, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2006.
"Services-Led Industrialization in India: Assessment and Lessons,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt8jn2b8z6, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2006. "Services-led industrialization in India: Assessment and lessons," MPRA Paper 1276, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vinayan. K.P).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.