The Debate on Agriculture-Industry Terms of Trade in India
AbstractIn this paper, we focus on the vast literature that involved analysis of the agriculture-industry terms of trade in India. We first state the key policy issues that are found to be associated with changes in terms of trade variable, and subsequently discuss specific issues concerning the empirical estimation of agricultural terms of trade. We find that the barter terms of trade measure may not only be subject to an aggregation error associated with the index number construction, but is also exposed to the aggregation problems of empirical estimation. We also undertake a set of statistical tests to examine the difference among various agricultural net barter terms of trade series on India. The results indicate that in spite of the methodological differences, the alternate series reflect similar attributes over comparable time periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its series Working papers with number 109.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2002
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rangarajan, C., 1982. "Agricultural growth and industrial performance in India:," Research reports 33, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- M. H. Pesaran & R. G. Pierse & M. S. Kumar, 1988.
"Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
485, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Pierse, Richard G & Kumar, Mohan S, 1989. "Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 861-88, July.
- T. Palanivel, 1995. "Aggregate Supply Responses in Indian Agriculture: Some Empirical Evidence and Policy Implications," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 251-263, July.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1996.
"Macroeconomic crises and poverty monitoring : a case study for India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1685, The World Bank.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Macroeconomic Crises and Poverty Monitoring: A Case Study for India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 135-52, June.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1993. "Empirical Approaches to the Problem of Aggregation Over Individuals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1827-74, December.
- Lee, Kevin C & Pesaran, M Hashem & Pierse, Richard G, 1990. "Testing for Aggregation Bias in Linear Models," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 137-50, Supplemen.
- Martin Ravallion & Gaurav Datt, 1996. "India's Checkered History in Fight against Poverty: Are There Lessons for the Future?," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-33, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Schiff, Maurice & Montenegro, Claudio E., 1995.
"Aggregate agricultural supply response in developing countries : a survey of selected issues,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1485, The World Bank.
- Schiff, Maurice & Montenegro, Claudio E, 1997. "Aggregate Agricultural Supply Response in Developing Countries: A Survey of Selected Issues," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 393-410, January.
- Ghose, A K, 1989. "Rural Poverty and Relative Prices in India," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 307-31, June.
- Rao, J. Mohan, 1989. "Getting agricultural prices right," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 28-42, February.
- Surajit Deb, 2002. "Terms of Trade in a Multi-Sectoral Framework: Analysis for All-India and States," Working papers 112, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vinayan. K.P).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.