Monetary Policy, Asset Prices, and Liquidity in Over-the-Counter Markets
AbstractWe revisit a traditional topic in monetary economics: the relationship between asset prices and monetary policy. We study a model in which money helps facilitate trade in decentralized markets, as in Lagos andWright (2005), and real assets are traded in an over-the-counter (OTC) market, as in Duffie, Gˆarleanu, and Pedersen (2005). Agents wish to hold liquid portfolios, but liquidity comes at a cost: inflation. The OTC market serves as a secondary asset market, in which agents can rebalance their positions depending on their liquidity needs. Hence, a contribution of our paper is to provide a micro-founded explanation of the assumption that different investors have different valuations for the same asset, which is the key for generating gains from trade in the Duffie et al framework. In equilibrium, assets can be priced higher than their fundamental value because they help agents avoid the inflation tax.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California, Davis, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 1220.
Date of creation: 25 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
monetary-search models; liquidity; asset prices; over-the-counter markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-10-06 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2012-10-06 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2012-10-06 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-10-06 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aleksander Berentsen & Christopher Waller, 2010.
"Outside versus Inside Bonds: A Modigliani-Miller Type Result for Liquidity Constrained Economies,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3272, CESifo Group Munich.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Christopher J. Waller, 2009. "Outside versus inside bonds: a Modigliani-Miller type result for liquidity constrained economies," Working Papers 2009-056, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Christopher Waller, 2009. "Outside versus inside bonds: A Modigliani-Miller type result for liquidity constrained economies," IEW - Working Papers 443, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Boel, Paola & Camera, Gabriele, 2004.
"Efficient Monetary Allocations and the Illiquidity of Bonds,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1171, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Boel, Paola & Camera, Gabriele, 2006. "Efficient monetary allocations and the illiquidity of bonds," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1693-1715, October.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill & Guillaume Rocheteau & Ricardo Lagos, 2010.
"Crises and Liquidity in Over-the-counter Markets,"
2010 Meeting Papers
500, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Gabriele Camera & Christopher Waller, 2005.
"Money, Credit and Banking,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1617, CESifo Group Munich.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Gabriele Camera & Christopher Waller, . "Money, Credit and Banking," IEW - Working Papers 219, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Gabriele Camera, 2004. "Money, Credit, and Banking," 2004 Meeting Papers 473, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Athanasios Geromichalos & Juan M Licari & Jose Suarez-Lledo, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(4), pages 761-779, October.
- Jonathan Chiu & Thorsten V. Koeppl, 2011.
"Trading Dynamics with Adverse Selection and Search: Market Freeze, Intervention and Recovery,"
11-30, Bank of Canada.
- Jonathan Chiu & Thorsten Koeppl, 2011. "Trading Dynamics with Adverse Selection and Search: Market Freeze, Intervention and Recovery," Working Papers 1267, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2008. "Information, Liquidity and Asset Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-039, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Samuel Huber & Alessandro Marchesiani, 2012. "Degreasing the wheels of finance," ECON - Working Papers 101, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Scott Dyer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.