Modeling the Differences in Counted Outcomes using Bivariate Copula Models: with Application to Mismeasured Counts
AbstractThis paper makes three contributions. First, it uses copula functions to obtain a flexible bivariate parametric model for nonnegative integer-valued data (counts). Second, it recovers the distribution of the difference in the two counts from a specifed bivariate count distribution. Third, the methods are applied to counts that are measured with error. Specifically we model the determinants of the difference between the self-reported number of doctor visits (measured with error) and true number of doctor visits (also available in the data used).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California, Davis, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 43.
Date of creation: 21 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004. "Modelling the differences in counted outcomes using bivariate copula models with application to mismeasured counts," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 566-584, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984.
"Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-20, May.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982. "Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8203, CEPREMAP.
- Deb, Partha & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1997. "Demand for Medical Care by the Elderly: A Finite Mixture Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 313-36, May-June.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1988. "Chi-square diagnostic tests for econometric models : Introduction and applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 135-156, January.
- Bouye, Eric & Durlleman, Valdo & Nikeghbali, Ashkan & Riboulet, Gaël & Roncalli, Thierry, 2000. "Copulas for finance," MPRA Paper 37359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-, 1990.
"An ordered probit analysis of transaction stock prices,"
3234-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, A. Craig, 1992. "An ordered probit analysis of transaction stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 319-379, June.
- Hausman, J.A. & Lo, A.W. & MacKinlay, A.C., 1991. "An Ordered Probit Analysis of Transaction Stock Prices," Weiss Center Working Papers 26-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1991. "An Ordered Probit Analysis of Transaction Stock Prices," NBER Working Papers 3888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miller, Douglas J. & Liu, Wei-han, 2002. "On the recovery of joint distributions from limited information," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 259-274, March.
- Murat K. Munkin & Pravin K. Trivedi, 1999. "Simulated maximum likelihood estimation of multivariate mixed-Poisson regression models, with application," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 29-48.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Winkelmann, Rainer, 2001. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Analysis of Correlated Count Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 428-35, October.
- van Ophem, Hans, 2000. "Modeling Selectivity in Count-Data Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 503-11, October.
- Capéraà, Philippe & Fougères, Anne-Laure & Genest, Christian, 2000. "Bivariate Distributions with Given Extreme Value Attractor," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 30-49, January.
- Li, Tong, 2002. "Robust and consistent estimation of nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-26, September.
- van Ophem, Hans, 1999. "A General Method To Estimate Correlated Discrete Random Variables," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 228-237, April.
- Stanislav Anatolyev & Nikolay Gospodinov, 2007. "Modeling Financial Return Dynamics by Decomposition," Working Papers w0095, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Yen, Steven T. & Tan, Andrew K.G., 2011. "Fruit and vegetable consumption in Malaysia: a count system approach," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115969, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2006.
"Estimating Liquidity Using Information on the Multivariate Trading Process,"
CoFE Discussion Paper
06-04, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2006. "Estimating liquidity using information on the multivariate trading process," Working Papers 10, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2006. "A Multivariate Integer Count Hurdle Model: Theory and Application to Exchange Rate Dynamics," CoFE Discussion Paper 06-06, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Prokhorov, Artem & Schmidt, Peter, 2009.
"Likelihood-based estimation in a panel setting: Robustness, redundancy and validity of copulas,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 93-104, November.
- Artem Prokhorov & Peter Schmidt, 2009. "Likelihood Based Estimation in a Panel Setting: Robustness, Redundancy and Validity of Copulas," Working Papers 09002, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Jian & Peng, Liang & Zhao, Yichuan, 2009. "Empirical likelihood based confidence intervals for copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 137-151, January.
- Agnes E. Walker & Stephen Colagiuri, 2011. "Cost-Benefit Model System of Chronic Diseases in Australia to Assess and Rank Prevention and Treatment Options," International Journal of Microsimulation, Interational Microsimulation Association, vol. 4(3), pages 57-70.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Eluru, Naveen, 2009. "A copula-based approach to accommodate residential self-selection effects in travel behavior modeling," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 749-765, August.
- Eugenio Miravete, 2007.
"“Competing with Menus of Tariff Options”,"
07-02, NET Institute, revised Jul 2007.
- Fantazzini, Dean, 2008. "Econometric Analysis of Financial Data in Risk Management (continuation). Section III: Managing Operational Risk," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 11(3), pages 87-122.
- Wanling Huang & Artem Prokhorov, 2010.
"A Goodness-of-fit Test for Copulas,"
10002, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2010.
- Chandra Bhat & Ipek Sener, 2009. "A copula-based closed-form binary logit choice model for accommodating spatial correlation across observational units," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 243-272, September.
- Katarzyna Bień-Barkowska, 2012. "A Bivariate Copula-based Model for a Mixed Binary-Continuous Distribution: A Time Series Approach," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 4(2), pages 117-142, June.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2011.
"An inflated multivariate integer count hurdle model: an application to bid and ask quote dynamics,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(4), pages 669-707, 06.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2007. "An Inflated Multivariate Integer Count Hurdle Model: An Application to Bid and Ask Quote Dynamics," CoFE Discussion Paper 07-04, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Shi, Peng & Valdez, Emiliano A., 2011. "A copula approach to test asymmetric information with applications to predictive modeling," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 226-239, September.
- Hasebe, Takuya & Vijverberg, Wim P., 2012. "A Flexible Sample Selection Model: A GTL-Copula Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 7003, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Liang Peng & Yongcheng Qi & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2012. "Jackknife empirical likelihood method for copulas," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 74-92, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Scott Dyer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.