How does Zinfluence Affect Article Influence?
AbstractThe paper analyses the leading journals in Neuroscience using quantifiable Research Assessment Measures (RAM). Alternative RAM criteria are discussed for the Thomson Reuters ISI Web of Science database (hereafter ISI). The ISI RAM that are calculated annually or updated daily include the classic 2-year impact factor (2YIF), 5-year impact factor (5YIF), Immediacy (or zero-year impact factor (0YIF)), Eigenfactor score, Article Influence score, C3PO (Citation Performance Per Paper Online), h-index, Zinfluence, PI-BETA (Papers Ignored - By Even The Authors), and three new RAM, namely Self-citation Threshold Approval Rating (STAR), Impact Factor Inflation (IFI), and Cited Article Influence (CAI). The RAM criteria are analysed for 26 highly cited journals in the ISI category of Neurosciences. The paper highlights the similarities and differences in alternative RAM criteria, shows that several RAM capture similar performance characteristics of highly cited journals, and finds that the Eigenfactor score and PI-BETA are not highly correlated with the other RAM scores, and hence convey additional information regarding journal rankings. Harmonic mean rankings are also presented of the 13 RAM criteria for the 26 highly cited journals. It is shown that emphasizing the 2-year impact factor of a journal to the exclusion of other informative RAM criteria can lead to a distorted evaluation of journal performance and influence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 10/47.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
Phone: 64 3 369 3123 (Administrator)
Fax: 64 3 364 2635
Web page: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz
More information through EDIRC
Impact factors; Immediacy; Eigenfactor; Article Influence; h-index; C3PO; Zinfluence; PI-BETA; STAR; IFI; Cited Article influence;
Other versions of this item:
- Chang, C-L. & McAleer, M.J. & Oxley, L., 2010. "How does Zinfluence Affect Article Influence?," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-50, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Les Oxley, 2010. "How does Zinfluence Affect Article Influence?," KIER Working Papers 707, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- C3P - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Les Oxley, 2010.
"Great Expectatrics: Great Papers, Great Journals, Great Econometrics,"
Working Papers in Economics
10/36, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Les Oxley, 2011. "Great Expectatrics: Great Papers, Great Journals, Great Econometrics," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(6), pages 583-619.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Les Oxley, 2010. "Great Expectatrics: Great Papers, Great Journals, Great Econometrics," KIER Working Papers 714, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Les Oxley, 2011. "Great Expectatrics: Great Papers, Great Journals, Great Econometrics," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-114, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.