The Global Economic and Financial Crisis: A Review and Commentary
AbstractThis paper provides a review and commentary on the current financial and economic crisis. It considers important analytical and policy issues from a global and North-South perspective. The analytical questions cover issues such as the better than expected performance of the world economy, the role of global financial imbalances, and whether or not economic theory has been helpful. It is argued that close international cooperation and policy coordination are essential to recovery and an improved distribution of the fruits of growth. Cooperation and financial regulation are particularly necessary in order to prevent international contagion and cascading sovereign debt defaults.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ESRC Centre for Business Research in its series ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers with number wp415.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/
Financial and economic crisis; global financial imbalances; global economic cooperation;
Other versions of this item:
- Singh, Ajit & Zammit, Ann, 2010. "The global economic and financial crisis: a review and commentary," MPRA Paper 39052, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- N2 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glyn, A. & Hughes, A. & Lipietz, A. & Singh, A., 1988. "The Rise And Fall Of The Golden Age," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 884, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Albert Fishlow., 1987.
"Some Reflections on Comparative Latin American Economic Performance and Policy,"
Economics Working Papers
8754, University of California at Berkeley.
- Fishlow, Albert, 1987. "Some Reflections on Comparative Latin American Economic Performance and Policy," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt205388wm, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Richard N. Cooper, 2005. "Living with Global Imbalances: A Contrarian View," Policy Briefs PB05-03, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Singh, Ajit, 2007.
"Globalisation, industrial revolutions in India and China and labour markets in advanced countries: implications for national and international economic policy,"
53369, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Singh, Ajit, 2007. "Globalisation, industrial revolutions in India and China and labour markets in advanced countries : implications for national and international economic policy," ILO Working Papers 397934, International Labour Organization.
- Karl Aiginger, 2009. "The Current Economic Crisis: Causes, Cures and Consequences," WIFO Working Papers 341, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.