Institutional Restructuring in the Japanese Economy 1985-1996
AbstractThe question we seek to address is: what effect has economic turbulence since 1985 had on three of the institutional foundations of post-war Japanese industrial success? First, we examine the Japanese 'main bank' system whereby a 'main' bank is involved in a special type of long-term relationship with the non-financial firms that it lends to. Second, we look at the close inter-corporate relationships between main manufacturing firms and their suppliers. And third, we consider the nature of Japanese industrial policy and the interventionist role of the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) and the relatively weak role of Japanese competition policy under the authority of the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC). In each case we present evidence which suggests that these institutional foundations of the post- war Japanese economy have been fundamentally weakened over the period we look at.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ESRC Centre for Business Research in its series ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers with number wp115.
Date of creation: Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/
main bank system; buyer-supplier relationships; industrial policy; competition policy; Japanese economy.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
- P17 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Performance and Prospects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sandra Dow & Jean McGuire & Toru Yoshikawa, 2011. "Disaggregating the group effect: Vertical and horizontal keiretsu in changing economic times," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 299-323, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.