Have China¡¯s FDI Policy Changes Been Successful in Reducing Its FDI Regional Disparity?
AbstractFrom the very beginning of China¡¯s open door policy in 1979, China¡¯s preferential FDI polices have generally favored the coastal provinces, which has led to a pronounced regional disparity in FDI. Since 1992, the Chinese government has implemented a series of polices to reduce FDI regional disparity and diversify inward FDI to Western and Central provinces. This paper uses a regression-based approach to assess the contribution of China¡¯s preferential FDI policy changes toward FDI regional disparity. Our results suggest that the contribution of China¡¯s regionally preferential FDI polices in inward FDI disparity decreased from 24% in 1990 to 13% in 2005. China¡¯s preferential FDI policy changes dominate all the other factors in reducing China¡¯s inward FDI regional disparity during this period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by China Agricultural University, College of Economics and Management in its series Working Papers with number 0704.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Foreign Direct Investment; Regional disparity; Preferential Policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Demurger, Sylvie, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Theory and Application to China," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 140-55, June.
- Chow, G.C., 1990.
"Capital Formation And Economic Growth In China,"
356, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Yingqi Wei & Xiaming Liu & David Parker & Kirit Vaidya, 1999. "The Regional Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in China," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 857-867.
- Dees, Stephane, 1998.
" Foreign Direct Investment in China: Determinants and Effects,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 31(2-3), pages 175-94.
- Stèphane Dees, 1998. "Foreign Direct Investment in China: Determinants and Effects," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 175-194, May.
- Xiaohui Liu & Peter Burridge & P. J. N. Sinclair, 2002. "Relationships between economic growth, foreign direct investment and trade: evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 34(11), pages 1433-1440.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Jose De Gregorio & Eduardo Borensztein, 1994. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 94/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Kevin Honglin Zhang, 2001. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth in China?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(3), pages 679-693, November.
- WHALLEY, John & XIN, Xian, 2010.
"China's FDI and non-FDI economies and the sustainability of future high Chinese growth,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 123-135, March.
- John Whalley & Xian Xin, 2006. "China's FDI and Non-FDI Economies and the Sustainability of Future High Chinese Growth," NBER Working Papers 12249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wu, Yanrui, 2000. "Measuring the performance of foreign direct investment: a case study of China," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 143-150, February.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: A Summary of the Recent Literature," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- K. C. Fung & Hitomi Iizaka & Sarah Tong, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in China: Policy, recent trend and impact," Global Economic Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 99-130.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Baozhong Su).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.