Substitution Bias and the Construction of a Spatial Cost of Living Index
AbstractWe estimate the spatial substitution bias based on the difference between a price index and the true cost of living. We estimate the substitution bias for several different geographical scales, using different base baskets and across several spending quartiles. Our results show a significant substitution bias for small geographic units. The choice of the base basket is relevant for the estimation of the bias. Finally, the spatial substitution bias is higher for higher level quartiles due to the heterogeneity in the consumption basket. This exercise shows how the spatial dimension modifies the construction of a price index. Moreover, the approach of fixed baskets (the axiomatic approach) should be carefully considered in the estimation of spatial price differentials.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics in its series Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional with number 13.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision: May 2011
Housing cost; Cost of living; Laspeyres index; Substitution bias;
Other versions of this item:
- Dusan Paredes Araya & Victor Iturra Rivera, 2013. "Substitution bias and the construction of a spatial cost of living index," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 103-117, 03.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Víctor Iturra & Dusan Paredes, 2011.
"Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System,"
Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional
11, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised May 2011.
- Iturra, Victor & Paredes - Araya, Dusan, 2011. "Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System," MPRA Paper 30581, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jahyeong Koo & Keith Phillips & Fiona Sigalla, 1997.
"Measuring regional cost of living,"
9713, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2008.
"Spatial wage disparities: Sorting matters!,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 723-742, March.
- Dusan Paredes & Patricio Aroca, 2008. "Metodología para Estimar un Indice Regional de Costo de Vivienda en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(131), pages 129-143.
- Topel, Robert H & Rosen, Sherwin, 1988. "Housing Investment in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 718-40, August.
- Braithwait, Steven D, 1980. "The Substitution Bias of the Laspeyres Price Index: An Analysis Using Estimated Cost-of-Living Indexes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 64-77, March.
- Pollak, Robert A., 1989. "The Theory of the Cost-of-Living Index," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195058703.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Bowden, Roger J, 1992. "Competitive Selection and Market Data: The Mixed-Index Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 625-33, July.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- Elena Lasarte Navamuel & Dusan Paredes & Esteban Fernández Vázquez, 2012. "A true cost of living index for Spain using a microeconomic approach and censored data," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 26, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2012.
- Dusan Paredes, 2012. "Spatial wage disparities and the role of spatial labor sorting," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 28, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Dusan Paredes & Victor Iturra & Marcelo Lufin, 2012. "A further step to understand income inequality in Chile: A decomposition using three-stages nested Theil index decomposition method," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 25, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2012.
- Paredes, Dusan & Iturra, Victor, 2012.
"Market access and wages: A spatially heterogeneous approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 349-353.
- Dusan Paredes & Victor Iturra, 2012. "Market Access and wages: A spatially heterogeneous approach," Documentos de Trabajo en Economia y Ciencia Regional 29, Universidad Catolica del Norte, Chile, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dusan Paredes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.