A Restricted-Domain Multilateral Test Approach to the Theory of International Comparisons(revised and extended version of CEP 96-03)
AbstractThis paper develops a novel multilateral test approach to the problem of international comparisons. Many of the associated tests are justi¯ed as\reasonable" using the fact that they are direct analogues to properties of the cost-of-living index. Further support is bestowed upon the new approach by showing that it is equivalent to an extended version of Diewert's (1986) multilateral test approach. Finally, a number of alternative multilateral comparison formulae are evaluated and the relative superiority of two of them is established.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Carleton University, Department of Economics in its series Carleton Economic Papers with number 99-16.
Length: 62 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1999
Date of revision: Feb 2003
Publication status: Published: – further revised version in International Economic Review, Vol. 44, No. 1 (February 2003), pp. 31–86
Note: revised & extended version of CEP 96-03
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa Ontario, K1S 5B6 Canada
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Renee Lortie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.