An Assessment of the Currency Board Regime in Bosnia and Herzegovina
AbstractThis paper describes the currency board regime operations in Bosnia and Herzegovina and assess its performance and sustainability in the context of the economic, political and institutional environment. To the best of our knowledge, our study seems to be unique in this respect. Based on the theoretical considerations as well as empirical evidence, we judge that Bosnia and Herzegovina’s currency board regime is well-suited and appropriate given the country’s history, its current state and its future goals. Nevertheless, we believe that the key to the currency board’s sustainability, and an eventual accession to the European Union, is a stronger legal and regulatory infrastructure and a more unified political system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Carleton University, Department of Economics in its series Carleton Economic Papers with number 05-01.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision: Dec 2006
Publication status: Published: An Assessment of the Currency Board Regime in Bosnia and Herzegovina – revised version in Emerging Markets Finance & Trade, Vol. 42, No. 6 (November/December 2006), pp. 46–58
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa Ontario, K1S 5B6 Canada
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2005-02-20 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2005-02-20 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2005-02-20 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cto:journl:v:20:y:2000:i:1:p:49-59 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2003.
"The Mirage of Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Market Countries,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 99-118, Fall.
- Guillermo Calvo & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2003. "The Mirage of Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Market Countries," NBER Working Papers 9808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enrique Alberola & Luis Molina, 2000. "Fiscal Discipline and Exchange Rate Regimes: a Case for Currency Boards?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0006, Banco de Espa�a.
- Leland B. Yeager, 2000. "Exchange Rates between What Sorts of Currencies?," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 20(1), Spring/Su.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Renee Lortie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.