Liberalisation and Regulation in Electricity Systems: How can we get the balance right?
AbstractThis paper explores the issue of the balance between liberalisation and regulation in electricity systems, which is the essence of much of the detailed policies which are implemented in the sector. By liberalisation I take to mean the use of market or quasi-market mechanisms as part of a reform of the sector, by regulation I take to mean regulatory intervention to restrain the operation of market signals which would otherwise have operated in the absence of regulation. The paper takes an international perspective to look at the case for liberalisation, the case for regulation and the evidence on the effects of liberalisation. It concludes with an assessment on the future for electricity liberalisation. This paper forms the foreward to Sioshansi, F.P. (2008) (ed.), Competitive Electricity Markets: Design, Implementation, Performance, Oxford: Elsevier and makes reference to the papers in that volume.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 0753.
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Electricity liberalisation; electricity regulation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-11-17 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENE-2007-11-17 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-REG-2007-11-17 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2013. "Essays on Electricity Market Reforms: A Cross-Country Applied Approach," MPRA Paper 47139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Michel Glachant, 2012.
"Regulating Networks in the New Economy,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, vol. 3(1).
- Jean-Michel Glachant, 2009. "Regulating Networks in the New Economy," RSCAS Working Papers 2009/05, European University Institute.
- Jean-Michel Glachant, 2009. "Regulating Networks in the New Economy," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 5, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Dierk Bauknecht, 2011. "Incentive Regulation and Network Innovations," RSCAS Working Papers 2011/02, European University Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.