Incorporating Undesirable Outputs into Malmquist TFP Index: Environmental Performance Growth of Chinese Coal-Fired Power Plants
AbstractIn this article we examine the effects of undesirable outputs on the Malmquist TFP indices. Our empirical work uses an unbalanced panel which covers 796 utility and non-utility coal-fired power plants in China during 1996-2002. In order to meet the requirement of a balanced panel for calculating the Malmquist indices, an innovative fake unit approach has been introduced. Our final results show that (1) the growth of the Chinese electricity heavily depends upon an increase of resource input; and (2) huge potential remains with regards to the efficiency improvement and emissions control in Chinese coal-fired power plants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 0740.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Malmquist indicies; total factor productivity; Chinese electricity; power plant efficiency.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2007-09-16 (China)
- NEP-EFF-2007-09-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENE-2007-09-16 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2007-09-16 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2007-09-16 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Hongliang & Pollitt, Michael, 2009.
"Incorporating both undesirable outputs and uncontrollable variables into DEA: The performance of Chinese coal-fired power plants,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 197(3), pages 1095-1105, September.
- Yang, H. & Pollitt, M., 2007. "Incorporating Both Undesirable Outputs and Uncontrollable Variables into DEA: the Performance of Chinese Coal-Fired Power Plants," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0733, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.