Nearest Neighbor Conditional Estimation for Harris Recurrent Markov Chains
AbstractThis paper is concerned with consistent nearest neighbor time series estimation for data generated by a Harris recurrent Markov chain. The goal is to validate nearest neighbor estimation in this general time series context, using simple and weak conditions. The framework considered covers, in a unified manner, a wide variety of statistical quantities, e.g. autoregression function, conditional quantiles, conditional tail estimators and, more generally, extremum estimators. The focus is theoretical, but examples are given to highlight applications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 0735.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Nonparametric Estimation; Quantile Estimation; Semiparametric Estimation; Sequential Forecasting; Tail Estimation; Time Series.;
Other versions of this item:
- Sancetta, Alessio, 2009. "Nearest neighbor conditional estimation for Harris recurrent Markov chains," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(10), pages 2224-2236, November.
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-08-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FOR-2007-08-14 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Haan, Laurens & Resnick, Sidney I. & Rootzén, Holger & de Vries, Casper G., 1989. "Extremal behaviour of solutions to a stochastic difference equation with applications to arch processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 213-224, August.
- Marco Aiolfi & Carlos Capistrán & Allan Timmermann, 2010.
CREATES Research Papers
2010-21, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Doukhan, Paul & Louhichi, Sana, 1999. "A new weak dependence condition and applications to moment inequalities," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 313-342, December.
- van Garderen, K.J., 1995.
"Curved exponential models in econometrics,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9508, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Jeon, Yongil, 2004. "Thick modeling," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 323-343, March.
- Masry, Elias, 2005. "Nonparametric regression estimation for dependent functional data: asymptotic normality," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 155-177, January.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 2003. "Bootstrap Methods for Markov Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1049-1082, 07.
- Carlos Capistrán & Allan Timmermann, 2008.
"Forecast Combination With Entry and Exit of Experts,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-55, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- CapistrÃ¡n, Carlos & Timmermann, Allan, 2009. "Forecast Combination With Entry and Exit of Experts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 428-440.
- Carlos Capistrán & Allan Timmermann, 2006. "Forecast Combination with Entry and Exit of Experts," Working Papers 2006-08, Banco de México.
- Nze, Patrick Ango & Doukhan, Paul, 2004. "Weak Dependence: Models And Applications To Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 995-1045, December.
- Yakowitz, Sid, 1993. "Nearest neighbor regression estimation for null-recurrent Markov time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 311-318, November.
- Peter Hall & Qiwei Yao, 2005. "Approximating conditional distribution functions using dimension reduction," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 16333, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2000.
"Econometric analysis of realised volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models,"
2001-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 05 Jul 2001.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Shephard, 2002. "Econometric analysis of realized volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(2), pages 253-280.
- Rychlik, Tomasz, 1994. "Distributions and expectations of order statistics for possibly dependent random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 31-42, January.
- Battey, Heather & Sancetta, Alessio, 2013. "Conditional estimation for dependent functional data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 1-17.
- Linton, Oliver & Sancetta, Alessio, 2009. "Consistent estimation of a general nonparametric regression function in time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 70-78, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.