The Spanish Electricity Industry: Plus ça change …
AbstractIn this paper we describe the Spanish electricity industry and its current regulatory regime. Special emphasis is given to the description and discussion of market design issues (including stranded cost recovery), the evolution of market structure, investment in generation capacity and network activities. We also provide a critical assessment of the 1997 regulatory reform, which did not succeed in introducing effective competition, but retained an opaque regulation which has been subject to continuous governmental interventionism. Furthermore, the implementation of the Kyoto agreement could show the lack of robustness of the regulatory regime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 0502.
Date of creation: Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Note: CMI, IO
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Spain; electricity; market design; generation; network activities; regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-01-09 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EEC-2005-01-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2005-01-09 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-NET-2005-01-09 (Network Economics)
- NEP-RES-2005-01-09 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabra, Natalia & Toro, Juan, 2005.
"Price wars and collusion in the Spanish electricity market,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 155-181, April.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Industrial Organization 0212001, EconWPA, revised 31 Aug 2003.
- Juan Toro & Natalia Fabra, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economics Series Working Papers 136, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2001. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/05, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Emili Grifell-Tatjé & C. A. Knox Lovell, 2003. "The Managers versus the Consultants," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(1), pages 119-138, 03.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Hannes Weigt, 2007. "Aktive Wettbewerbspolitik für effiziente Elektrizitätserzeugungsmärkte: Instrumente, internationale Erfahrungen und wirtschaftspolitische Schlussfolgerungen," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 76(1), pages 65-86.
- Xavier Vives, 2009.
"Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2856, CESifo Group Munich.
- Xavier Vives, 2011. "Strategic Supply Function Competition With Private Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(6), pages 1919-1966, November.
- Xavier Vives, 2009. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1736, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Vives, Xavier, 2008. "Strategic supply function competition with private information," IESE Research Papers D/774, IESE Business School.
- Vives, Xavier, 2008. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 6960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Vives, 2008. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," CESifo Working Paper Series 2410, CESifo Group Munich.
- Furió, Dolores & Lucia, Julio J., 2009. "Congestion management rules and trading strategies in the Spanish electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 48-60, January.
- Roques, Fabien A., 2008.
"Market design for generation adequacy: Healing causes rather than symptoms,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 171-183, September.
- Roques, F.A., 2008. "Market Design for Generation Adequacy: Healing Causes rather than Symptoms," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0821, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura, 2006. "Comparison of Electricity Deregulation around the World and Implications for Ireland," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2006(3-Autumn), pages 38-63.
- Linares, P. & Santos, F.J. & Pérez-Arriaga, I.J., 2008. "Scenarios for the evolution of the Spanish electricity sector: Is it on the right path towards sustainability?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4057-4068, November.
- Ciarreta, Aitor & Espinosa, María Paz, 2012.
"The impact of regulation on pricing behavior in the Spanish electricity market (2002–2005),"
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 2039-2045.
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Ciarreta Antuñano, Aitor, 2010. "The Impact of Regulation on Pricing Behavior in the Spanish Electricity Market," DFAEII Working Papers 2010-08, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Sáenz de Miera, Gonzalo & del Rio González, Pablo & Vizcaino, Ignacio, 2008. "Analysing the impact of renewable electricity support schemes on power prices: The case of wind electricity in Spain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3345-3359, September.
- Perez, Yannick & Ramos Real, Francisco Javier, 2008. "How to make a European integrated market in small and isolated electricity systems? The case of the Canary Islands," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4159-4167, November.
- SANIN, Maria Eugenia, 2006. "Market design in wholesale electricity markets," CORE Discussion Papers 2006100, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Vítor Marques & Isabel Soares & Adelino Fortunato, 2008. "Uniform Price Market and Behaviour Pattern: What Does the Iberian Electricity Market Point Out?," GEMF Working Papers 2008-08, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2013. "Essays on Electricity Market Reforms: A Cross-Country Applied Approach," MPRA Paper 47139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.