Estimating Market Power in the Internet Backbone Using Band-X data
AbstractRecent industry studies found the Internet backbone industry competitive. In our paper we explore a novel route to monitor for market power using prices and quality data from Band-X. First we test the hypothesis that Europe is a connectivity market on its own, unchallenged by the US and then, by using a Panel data Regression, we find that these markets are not very competitive since brand effects play a major role because price variations are only marginally affected by qualitative dimensions. More worryingly we find that companies with high prices are often able to supply an inferior quality I.P. transit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 0332.
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Internet; Market Power; Backbone; Competition Policy; Network Industries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-NET-2003-09-08 (Network Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- D'Ignazio, Alessio & Giovannetti, Emanuele, 2006.
"Antitrust Analysis for the Internet Upstream Market: A BGP Approach,"
- Alessio D'Ignazio & Emanuele Giovannetti, 2005. "Antitrust Analysis for the Internet Upstream Market: a BGP Approach," Working Papers 37, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- D’Ignazio, A. & Giovannetti, E., 2005. "Antitrust Analysis for the Internet Upstream Market: a BGP Approach," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0554, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jahn, E. & Prüfer, J., 2006.
"Interconnection and Competition Among Asymmetric Networks in the Internet Backbone Market,"
2006-122, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jahn, Eric & Prüfer, Jens, 2008. "Interconnection and competition among asymmetric networks in the Internet backbone market," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 243-256, September.
- Jahn, E. & Prüfer, J., 2006. "Interconnection and Competition Among Asymmetric Networks in the Internet Backbone Market," Discussion Paper 2006-033, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Lippert, Steffen & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2006.
"Internet Peering as a Network of Relations,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
191, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Giovannetti, E. & Neuhoff, K. & Spagnolo, G., 2005. "Agglomeration in Internet Co-operation Peering Agreements," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0505, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- D'Ignazio, A. & Giovannetti, E., 2004. "From Exogenous to Endogenous Networks: Internet Applications," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0445, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.