Evidence of unspanned stochastic volatility in crude-oil market
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to conduct a comprehensive analysis of unspanned stochastic volatility in commodity markets with focus and empirical evidence on crude-oil market. Using crude-oil futures and options on futures data from New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) there are presented model-free results that strongly suggest the presence of unspanned stochastic volatility in the crude-oil market. Sharp oil prices changes exert influence on macroeconomic activity in general and crude-oil industry in particular. The importance of the results is that they show the extent to which volatility risk is spanned by the futures contracts. The extent to which crude-oil futures contracts trading span volatility will indicate if options on futures are redundant securities or there is needed a mixed strategy combining both types of crude-oil market derivatives (futures and options) to fully hedge against volatility risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bucharest University of Economics, Center for Advanced Research in Finance and Banking - CARFIB in its series Advances in Economic and Financial Research - DOFIN Working Paper Series with number 33.
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision:
unspanned stochastic volatility; oil market;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1997. " The Stochastic Behavior of Commodity Prices: Implications for Valuation and Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 923-73, July.
- Selim Elekdag & Ren� Lalonde & Douglas Laxton & Dirk Muir & Paolo Pesenti, 2008.
"Oil Price Movements and the Global Economy: A Model-Based Assessment,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(2), pages 297-311, June.
- Selim Elekdag & Rene Lalonde & Douglas Laxton & Dirk Muir & Paolo Pesenti, 2008. "Oil Price Movements and the Global Economy: A Model-Based Assessment," NBER Working Papers 13792, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elekdag, Selim & Lalonde, Rene & Laxton, Doug & Muir, Dirk & Pesenti, Paolo, 2008. "Oil Price Movements and the Global Economy: A Model-Based Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 6700, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Selim Elekdag & René Lalonde & Douglas Laxton & Dirk Muir & Paolo Pesenti, 2007. "Oil Price Movements and the Global Economy: A Model-Based Assessment," Working Papers 07-34, Bank of Canada.
- Deaton, Angus & Laroque, Guy, 1996.
"Competitive Storage and Commodity Price Dynamics,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 896-923, October.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1996. "Competitive storage and commodity price dynamics," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989.
"On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices,"
145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Litzenberger, Robert H & Rabinowitz, Nir, 1995. " Backwardation in Oil Futures Markets: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1517-45, December.
- Jaime Casassus & Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2005. "Stochastic Convenience Yield Implied from Commodity Futures and Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2283-2331, October.
- Leonid Kogan & Dmitry Livdan & Amir Yaron, 2005.
"Futures Prices in a Production Economy with Investment Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
11509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amir Yaron & Leonid Kogan & Dmitry Livdan, 2004. "Futures Prices in a Production Economy with Investment Constraints," 2004 Meeting Papers 128, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bryan Routledge & Duane Seppi & Chester Spatt, .
"Equilibrium Forward Curves for Commodities,"
GSIA Working Papers
1997-50, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Anders B. Trolle & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2006. "A General Stochastic Volatility Model for the Pricing and Forecasting of Interest Rate Derivatives," NBER Working Papers 12337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ciprian Necula) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ciprian Necula to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.