The Influence of Visitors’ Satisfaction on Expenditure Behaviour
AbstractThis study analyses spending behaviour of international visitors to Italy. In specific it focuses on the impact that visitors’ satisfaction with different attributes of the trip exerts on expenditure among different service categories. Despite a general recognition by the economic literature that customer satisfaction exerts a positive effect on both economic returns and brand loyalty, very few academic studies explored the relationship between tourists’ satisfaction with a destination and spending behaviour. This study focuses on the 1,030 visitors who travelled to the provinces Bolzano, Trento, and Belluno (Northern Italy), an area around the Dolomites. The Double-hurdle model with the Heien and Wessells estimator is applied. Discussion of the empirical evidence is aimed at highlighting the main relations between expenditure behaviour and satisfaction. Policy implications and managerial issues for tourism destinations are also presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management at the Free University of Bozen in its series BEMPS - Bozen Economics & Management Paper Series with number BEMPS14.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: VIA SERNESI, 1 - 39100 BOLZANO
Phone: +39 0471 315 000
Fax: +39 0471 315 009
Web page: http://www.unibz.it/en/economics/research/workingpapers/default.html
More information through EDIRC
Tourist expenditure; Satisfaction; Double–hurdle model; Spending behaviour.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-MKT-2013-12-20 (Marketing)
- NEP-TUR-2013-12-20 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manrique, Justo & Jensen, Helen H., 1997.
"Spanish Household Demand for Convenience Meat Products,"
Staff General Research Papers
1112, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Justo Manrique & Helen H. Jensen, 1997. "Spanish household demand for convenience meat products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 579-586.
- Patrick J. Byrne & Oral Capps & Atanu Saha, 1996. "Analysis of Food-Away-from-Home Expenditure Patterns for U.S. Households, 1982â€“89," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 614-627.
- Brida, Juan Gabriel & Disegna, Marta & Scuderi, Raffaele, 2012. "Visitors of two types of museums: do expenditure patterns differ?," MPRA Paper 38841, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "Multivariate Regression and Simultaneous Equation Models when the Dependent Variables Are Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 999-1012, November.
- Oliver, Richard L & Swan, John E, 1989. " Equity and Disconfirmation Perceptions as Influences on Merchant and Product Satisfaction," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(3), pages 372-83, December.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Brida, Juan Gabriel & Scuderi, Raffaele, 2012. "Determinants of tourist expenditure: a review of microeconometric models," MPRA Paper 38468, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-71, July.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (bemps administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.