Price Convergence in Euroland. Evidence from micro data without noise
AbstractAnalyzing prices of truly homogenous consumer goods sold in Euroland, we find significant price convergence after the Euro cash changeover in 2002. The deviation of national log prices from the mean log price of the same product is much narrower with the Euro than before. We observe Sigma and Beta convergence, i.e. prices do not differ systematically between countries. Our result is in contrast to some other findings stating divergence rather than convergence but which do not control perfectly for heterogeneity of products. Because of information and transportation costs arbitrage is unlikely to occur in consumer items and reasons for convergence must therefore be sought in competition and advantages on the supplier’s side. If suppliers would minimize menu costs, price for the same item should be identical, which we do not observe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library in its series Schumpeter Discussion Papers with number sdp13005.
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://elpub.bib.uni-wuppertal.de
convergence; price setting; law of one price; Euro; homogenous products;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2013-07-20 (European Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2013-07-20 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995.
"How wide is the border?,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," Research Working Paper 95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994. "How Wide is the Border?," NBER Working Papers 4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Verboven, Frank, 2001.
"The Evolution of Price Dispersion in the European Car Market,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(4), pages 811-48, October.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Verboven, Frank, 1998. "The Evolution of Price Dispersion in the European Car Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2029, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Frank Verboven, 1998. "The Evolution of Price Dispersion in the European Car Market," NBER Working Papers 6818, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eileen Appelbaum & Ronald Schettkat, 1999. "Are Prices Unimportant? The Changing Structure of the Industrialized Economies," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(3), pages 387-398, April.
- Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "The Segmentation of International Markets: Evidence from The Economist," NBER Working Papers 5878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996.
"Convergence to the Law of One Price Without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
5654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parsley, David C & Wei, Shang-Jin, 1996. "Convergence to the Law of One Price without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1211-36, November.
- Jonathan Haskel & Holger C. Wolf, 2001.
"The Law of One Price - A Case Study,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
428, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gita Gopinath & Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Chang-Tai Hsieh & Nicholas Li, 2011. "International Prices, Costs, and Markup Differences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(6), pages 2450-86, October.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1994.
"Pricing in International Markets: Lessons from The Economist,"
94-21, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1994. "Pricing in International Markets: Lessons From The Economist," NBER Working Papers 4806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2012.
"Price convergence in the EMU? Evidence from micro data,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 757-776.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2009. "Price convergence in the EMU? Evidence from micro data," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,06, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ulrich Fritsche & Vladimir Kuzin, 2011. "Analysing convergence in Europe using the non-linear single factor model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 343-369, October.
- Ulrich Fritsche & Sarah Lein & Sebastian Weber, 2009. "Do Prices in the EMU Converge (Non-linearly)?," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200904, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Balázs Égert & Maria Antoinette Silgoner, 2007. "Price Level Convergence in Europe: Did the Introduction of the Euro Matter?," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 100â113.
- Sarah Lein & Volker Nitsch, 2008. "Führt der Euro zu Preiskonvergenz?," KOF Analysen, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich, vol. 2(2), pages 21-32, June.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, .
"Price Convergence in the European Car Market,"
- Charles Engel, 1992.
"Real Exchange Rates and Relative Prices: An Empirical Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
4231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles, 1993. "Real exchange rates and relative prices : An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-50, August.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 2004. "European product market integration after the euro," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 19(39), pages 347-384, 07.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Michael Kim & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The Law of One Price Over 700 Years,"
NBER Working Papers
5132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcus Asplund & Richard Friberg, 2001. "The Law of One Price in Scandinavian Duty-Free Stores," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1072-1083, September.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Wolter H.J. Hassink & Ronald Schettkat, 2003. "Price discrimination between EU regions," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 94(2), pages 258-264, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.